Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious where everyone goes to get there gas. It may not be a big deal to some where they get there gas so long as its at least 91 octane, but to others it could be more important.

You may go to the same place, or just anywhere cheap and convenient. Does it matter to you if its top-tier rated gas? Or do you think thats all bunk anyways.

Personally, I usually go to QuickTrip(QT). My reasons are, their prices are usually cheaper. They supposedly warranty their gas, and are top-tier rated. And its a one stop shop. Coffee drinks, cancer sticks and everything else.

Last night however I went to BP, that was because I was on empty and they were close but also they were about $.10 cheaper than everyone else, so I just filled her up.

I never buy gas at Shell if I can avoid it. And would never buy gas from Citgo. Chavez can suck it.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
i only use 93 oct. from BP...the same one every time
i agree NOBODY SHOULD BUY GAS FROM CITGO

·
Registered
471 Posts
I use 94 where I live, but when I have to visit the parent up north (650 km away), I have to go for 91 for part of the trip

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
[quote author=Chipotle link=topic=65980.msg1130968#msg1130968 date=1167844975]

You may go to the same place, or just anywhere cheap and convenient. Does it matter to you if its top-tier rated gas? Or do you think thats all bunk anyways.

[/quote]
It's not bunk. I will only use top-tier, preferably Chevron.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
well considering I live on an island, my choices are slim unless I want to drive a bit.
I normally grab Shell because its the best gas within a 10 min drive of my house, the only other options nearby are Cumberland Farms which I believe is affiliated with Citgo and as stated above, Chavez would have to personally give me a rim job to knowingly patronize his ass.

·
Registered
847 Posts
usually I go to Chevron ,for the past two fill ups using shell v power, not sure if make any different,
there are still BP station out,they got replace by 76 station
cheapest gas here would be ARCO, which I heard was crappy

·
Registered
241 Posts
[quote author=dread link=topic=65980.msg1131047#msg1131047 date=1167848420]
raceway 93 octane because it is the cheapest in my area.
[/quote]

I try to stick with Shell 93; would use Chevron if there was any in my area. I think it is courting disaster to buy cheap brands, which tend to be mixed, bottom-of-the-truck remainder deliveries.....

G

·
0 Posts
Any 'cheap brand' that made the manufacturer top-tier list won't cause you any problems.

·
Registered
241 Posts
[quote author=GimmeA3s link=topic=65980.msg1133056#msg1133056 date=1167939695]
Any 'cheap brand' that made the manufacturer top-tier list won't cause you any problems.
[/quote]
Not sure what list you refer to, but my concern is with local low-end stations which get deliveries from a variety of brand gasolines when truckers are near empty and want to sell off remainders.....Even with so-called name brands, not a good idea in general to mix brands.

G

·
0 Posts
TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is a recently established new standard for gasoline performance. Four of the world's top automakers, BMW, General Motors, Honda, and Toyota recognize that the current EPA minimum detergent requirements do not go far enough to ensure optimal engine performance.

In addition, all gasoline outlets carrying the brand of the approved retailer must meet the TOP TIER standards.

Additional gasoline retailers are added to the TOP TIER list as they meet the standards. The retailers known to be on the TOP TIER list are shown below.

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:

QuikTrip
Chevron
Conoco
Phillips
Shell
Entec Stations
MFA Oil Company
Kwik Trip/Kwik Star
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Chevron-Canada
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Company
Shell-Canada
Texaco
Petro-Canada

There is no harm in mixing brands of gasoline. If you get bad gas at station X, it's a problem with Station X. Mixing in someone else's gas will only dilute Station X's bad gas, possibly helping you avoid a problem at all. I regularly have a mixture of Chevron, Shell and QT in my tank at any given time. There is no perceivable performance difference.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
[quote author=Notorious R.I.E. link=topic=65980.msg1132721#msg1132721 date=1167927672]
All my cars get BP fuel
[/quote]
Do you think BP is better than other brands?

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
[quote author=GimmeA3s link=topic=65980.msg1133160#msg1133160 date=1167942848]
TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is a recently established new standard for gasoline performance. Four of the world's top automakers, BMW, General Motors, Honda, and Toyota recognize that the current EPA minimum detergent requirements do not go far enough to ensure optimal engine performance.

In addition, all gasoline outlets carrying the brand of the approved retailer must meet the TOP TIER standards.

Additional gasoline retailers are added to the TOP TIER list as they meet the standards. The retailers known to be on the TOP TIER list are shown below.

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:

QuikTrip
Chevron
Conoco
Phillips
Shell
Entec Stations
MFA Oil Company
Kwik Trip/Kwik Star
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Chevron-Canada
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Company
Shell-Canada
Texaco
Petro-Canada

There is no harm in mixing brands of gasoline. If you get bad gas at station X, it's a problem with Station X. Mixing in someone else's gas will only dilute Station X's bad gas, possibly helping you avoid a problem at all. I regularly have a mixture of Chevron, Shell and QT in my tank at any given time. There is no perceivable performance difference.
[/quote]

Interesting, I dont see Gulf on that list. thats the company that delivers to the local cumberland farms stations in New England. wonder why they didnt make it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
All brands generally come from the same few refineries in your area. The only time you should really avoid a particular brand is in situations such as Citgo. Just go to a station that you've had good luck with or if you're finding a new station, one that pumps a lot of gas in an effort to avoid any stale gas. I guess it's not much of a problem with regular octane, but for 91/93 not as many people will be buying it from a slower station and you run into possible issues.

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
Please folks don't spend this kind of money on a car then feed it cheap gas.
Yes it dose make a difference read here.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Any Californians here that would know where the best place to get 93 would be? I don't see 93 octane at any of the local gas stations. I am in the central valley

1 - 20 of 53 Posts