Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only did one autoX event last year (the last one) in the Ohio Valley Region and was wondering how many MS3's I'd see out this year with me in the Street Touring Ultra class. I looked through all of the 2008 events in only saw ONE MS3 at a single event.... and it was stock! So, SOMEOME come out and play with me this year! I'll have fun regardless but with AWD STi's and Evo's in my class I'm not going to be winning much, but it would be fun to have another MS3 to compete against. Here's a link, check it out and I'll see you out there!

http://www.ovr-scca.org/index.asp

:smokinamd:

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where are you coming from? That's like a 3hr drive for me. All the OVR events are around Columbus.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What mods do you have done to your car? Do you run in STU? I heard that they might have changed some of the class rules this season, will I still be in STU with the mods I have (below)?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Your mods are fine for STU. They did up the 2wd tire limit to 285mm this year. Also cleared up some dp heatshield issues for the suby guys. I am not aware of anything else.

My car is still on winter tires and not scheduled to go under the knife till later this month. ;-)
But last year I ran cobb spring/sways, ms cai, corksport inserts, 245/40/18 rt615s on 18x8 rota torques and shifter bushings. Everything else was stock.

·
Registered
98 Posts
STU is a terrible class for us:( I was in STU last year, I beat most guys who came who didnt autox much. But there are 2 evos both running ohlins that absoutly destroy me, one of them is a prosolo top runner. He was running faster then most people who are on r compounds

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[quote author=turbo23 link=topic=138177.msg2984346#msg2984346 date=1236645298]
STU is a terrible class for us
[/quote]

I kinda thought the same thing. I mean, I haven't been doing it long but it seems like there should be a sepreate classe for AWD b/c they get so much more traction. The event before the one I ran in I rode with a dude that runs his Evo in STU and that car just gets around the course so much stronger than our cars ever could... and the thing that sucks about it is I think I'm a better driver and if we were driving the same car I could take him. But honestly, I'm just out to have fun. I'm not running every points event anyway.

·
Registered
358 Posts
While I don't disagree with STU being a bad class for the MS3. AWD does not always dominate... look at how well old Integra Type-Rs do in DS, that is still a car that can win. Yes, I know that a subie has won it recently but that is not my point.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If an exceptional driver could find a way to take full advantage of the tire size allowed for 2WD cars, then a MS3 might be a good candidate for STX. The benefit of AWD is that you can recover speed more quickly when you make a mistake -- not losing speed in the first place is what it will take to win in a FWD.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm going to SMS next event. I would have got 3rd out of 11 and a trophy if I did last event! I PAX'd 33rd out of 112 cars and placed 6 of 7 in STU..... the guy who PAX'd 1st and won my class got a 48sec run in his STi... my best was 53sec running the piss out of it, no way I'm finding 5 sec out there.... still had a blast though!!!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
My best guess:
a completely prep'd STU MS3 could probably get within about a second or less of the top running evo/sti's (50~ second/balanced course, etc, etc).

My first weekend of autocrossing the ms3 I was about 3 seconds off both the national STU runner-up and the national STUL winner. (and 2~ seconds off the top national folks running in STX).

My car is mostly stock with 235/40 Z1's. There was at least another half second out there in learning the car, and probably another second+ in getting the car prep'd (maybe more, impossible to say)....

I can say for certain though, it was a ton of fun flogging it around... best damn daily driven grocery getter money can buy!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts