Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold my first gen Mazda3 two years ago when I moved overseas for work. I'll be returning to the States next month and need to buy a car. How early do you think the SkyActiv model will be available? Is there any estimate on pricing? Will it cost significantly more?

If it ends up being much more expensive and not availabe until late 2011 then I might look into getting a Lexus CT200h instead but I heard that has a wait time of 3-4 months.

Steve

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Initial estimates put the availability in October sometime. No pricing or options information yet, as Mazda hasn't decided on them yet.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Its a different engine, higher compression smaller engine, same hp, better gas mileage, and skyactive-d is diesel. Type in mazda skyactive in google and be amazed. Or go to mazdausa.com. Obvz didnt research too hard.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just picked 2012 mazda3 i on friday and the sales staff was just being trained. No info at all on pricing and it will be introduced in steps. First the SkyActiv transmission and then the engine. Also suppose to be an increase in torque and 5% increase in horsepower. Personally I never want to be the first with "new" anything. Let someone else deal with the start up issues and higher prices of new technology.

·
Registered
4 Posts
SkyActiv transmissions (6-sp MT or 6-sp AT) will be mated to the 2.0 SkyActiv exclusively. So it's not possible to introduce the transmission first.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just repeating what the "internet manager" told me. Makes sense that SkyActiv is a package deal. Also told me that the car (2012 Mazda3i) is not shipped with synthetic oil? And recommended 5k oil changes (on dino oil?).

·
Registered
14 Posts
The mazdausa website will let you 'build' a 2012 mazda3, but it does not offer the SkyActiv options. The old 2.5 and 2.0ls are the only options listed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
2012 Mazda3 i Touring Hatchback (w/ SkyActiv 2.0) starts at $18,950 MSRP w/ Skyactiv MT and add $850 MSRP for the Skyactiv 6-speed AT.

The new i Grand Touring 5-door model (w/ Skyactiv 2.0) starts at $22,800 MSRP (not sure if this includes MT or AT)

The 2.0 MZR will only be available in the i SV and i Sport Sedan trims.

2.5 MZR will still be available in the S trims as before.

Source: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/mazda-announces-pricing-of-2012-mazda3-with-skyactiv-technology-2011-10-04

EDIT: forgot to include $795 destination fee of course.

·
Registered
12 Posts
When I was at the stealership last Friday evening the floor manager told my sales guy that he was just that evening able to place lot inventory orders for the Skyactiv models. I'm guessing the first batch is ready to be put on boats and we'll see them within a month.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Skyactive has hit!
My dealer called to confirm they received 3 hatchbacks this morning and I'm waiting for another call to let me know it's out of prep and ready for a test drive and new home. The only way I'm not coming home with a new Skyactiv car tonight is if I come home with a new Speed3...

·
Registered
4 Posts
[quote author=hillcruiser link=topic=190516.msg4131111#msg4131111 date=1318706455]
Skyactive has hit!
My dealer called to confirm they received 3 hatchbacks this morning and I'm waiting for another call to let me know it's out of prep and ready for a test drive and new home. The only way I'm not coming home with a new Skyactiv car tonight is if I come home with a new Speed3...
[/quote]
So how was it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good stuff. The turbo was fun and I was leaning that way until throttling it through curves where the mild torque steering and blower delay made it a bit too unwieldy. I've got 38 miles of twisties on my 40 mile commute and would surely kill myself on one of the turns. the operating cost would have pushed me beyond what I'm willing to put into my car driving it that much anyway. So I bought the Skyactiv-G.

Apparently it's available only in indigo until December. It's indigo (a sharp on at that) in the sunlight but definitely purple otherwise. Oh well. Despite the smaller wheels it still handles extremely well with a slightly more forgiving ride. It's noticeably quieter than the 2.5 engines and after 120 miles of hilly stop & go driving I'm getting 32 MPG. When I stand on it there's a delay of about half a second before it downshifts and jumps, something I didn't notice on the 2.5. But once it gets going there's plenty of pickup for merging/passing. The 6-speed ATX is noticeably smoother than the 5-speed ATX on the 2.5.

The tech package on this one unfortunately lost the pushbutton start/stop and proximity lock/unlock. But I got the tech package for the adaptive lighting, hoping it wouldn't be a gimmick. And it's not - I notice a huge difference driving my unlit country roads at night.

So far I'm really happy with the car, it's met all of my expectations.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had to pay full MSRP but after much turmoil also got ~$1K in service and parts. I gave every impression I was leaning toward the turbo and started negotiating with that to feel out how much he was willing to budge. He came down $1850 from MSRP on the Speed3 with tech package which I thought was fair. He said he wouldn't budge on the Skyactiv. While we were negotiating three different couples came in and asked to drive the Skyactiv specifically and were told they'd have to wait until I decided on buying the Speed3 or Skyactiv. They all left without driving anything which obviously wasn't favorable for my negotiating.

When I went back for them to finish the PDI yesterday they had the second one prepped and on the lot with a dealer sticker adjacent to the window sticker that had a "Dealer's Asking Price" $1900 above MSRP. So, whatever. My personal circumstances required me to buy a car last weekend or this weekend. The $25K was well below my budget, I've been waiting for this specific car for a few months and I wasn't willing to risk not having one available this weekend. So after inheriting my wife's POS '98 Intrepid four years ago when she took my Tacoma and then being without a car for the last seven 7 months after the computer died I'm not going to lose any sleep over potentially over-spending a few hundred bucks.

I forgot - I got a $200 rebate for financing through Mazda's financier (Citi). So WDFD.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Technically limited availability now as the above poster stated. Our dealership has 1 skyG hatchback in stock however the ask price situation is similar to what the above poster as well, just rolled off the truck 2 days ago. It'll basically be the ask price as of now if you want it now since the availability is limited.

When will mass availability be? I don't know for certain but if I was to guess in the next month or two.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
There are a 65 within 50 miles of me. The main issue is that none of them have the manual transmission. I can't comprehend the type of weirdo that would buy a car with an automatic transmission. :sigh:

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
[quote author=AlvinRow link=topic=190516.msg4138954#msg4138954 date=1319922744]
There are a 65 within 50 miles of me. The main issue is that none of them have the manual transmission. I can't comprehend the type of weirdo that would buy a car with an automatic transmission. :sigh:
[/quote]

My understanding is that the MTX models will be available in another month or so.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In Denver last week, they told me the Manual Trani Hatchback will be available in FOUR months from now, the sedan sooner.

Cool how these are by far the funnest driving 40mpg cars out there... with the possible exception of the Golf/Jetta Diesels.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts