Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a late March purchase. Are dealers more likely to sell lower when the car has been on the lot for a while for the sake of moving it off? Or would they rather get it out ASAP so they are keeping as much of the hold back as possible (and making room for another unit?

I'm asking because if you look on the mazda website, it has an inventory listed for each dealer. I inquired about a certain unit at my local dealer and the internet sales guy said it wasn't even on the lot yet. It theoretically should be possible to get the info from the website and arrange a test drive for that particular one as soon as it gets to the lot. Then make an offer for invoice, while showing your knowledge of the hold back system. On a $15,000 (invoice) car, the dealer hold back is $300. I have no idea if that sounds good to a dealer or not.

Think that would work? I think it's worth a try.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
947 Posts
Dealers are certainly less likely to offer a good deal on a car that isn't on their lot. So definitely wait until the car is physically there before attempting any bargaining.

I think the 3's are not selling well enough for dealers to be sticking to their guns. I think you should be able to buy one for dealer invoice if you kick around a bit. Lower than invoice is possible but difficult.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just got a call from the internet guy at the local dealership quoting $500 over invoice. That seems to be the standard opening quote because I've seen other people get the same quotes via internet sites.

I'm thinking I can do better. $500 over INV is my ceiling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,287 Posts
cydisc said:
I just got a call from the internet guy at the local dealership quoting $500 over invoice. That seems to be the standard opening quote because I've seen other people get the same quotes via internet sites.

I'm thinking I can do better. $500 over INV is my ceiling.
I would offer to split the difference between the invoice and his first quote (i.e. $250 over). Also make sure his invoice matches yours, and doesn't include excessive fees :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Edmunds

Would suggest (as other topics have covered) going to Edmunds and pricing your car with your options. Edmunds will then spit back MSRP, Invoice, and what others are paying.

Have to disagree with poster about "Mazda 3 are not selling that good so far". I just don't think they have started getting to all the dealers as the car only came out in late NOV. My area dealers in Virginia only have the 4 door I and the 4 door hatch and NO 4 door Sport.

Kevin
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top