Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 with aftermarket wheels. The rears are seriously narrower than the fronts and I'd like to try some 5mm spacers. The universal ones are all over the place for $20 a pair. I'm a little concerned that there might be some high-speed vibration since my hubcentric rings probably won't be touching the hubs with the spacer in-between them. Does anyone have experience with this? I can get some billet spacers with built-in hubcentric rings, but they're pretty expensive.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
you can try putting the hubcentering ring between the spacer and the rotor, and putting the wheel on the spacer without the ring.
I dont think its going to cause vibrations anyways, if wheels are tightened properly, with a proper star pattern.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
The centering rings are only there to center the wheel, not redistribute any clamping force. You should be fine using them on the spacers even if they don't touch the hubs, so long as the wheel itself rests properly on the spacer and is bolted on correctly.

A 5mm spacer should work fine without needing extended lugs, but just barely. I went with the H&R trak+ 5mm spacers because they come in a pack with 5mm extended lugs just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[quote author=cali_axela link=topic=156443.msg3330696#msg3330696 date=1253294296]
The centering rings are only there to center the wheel, not redistribute any clamping force. You should be fine using them on the spacers even if they don't touch the hubs, so long as the wheel itself rests properly on the spacer and is bolted on correctly.

A 5mm spacer should work fine without needing extended lugs, but just barely. I went with the H&R trak+ 5mm spacers because they come in a pack with 5mm extended lugs just to be on the safe side.
[/quote]

Well, that's what I meant. How can the hubcentric ring center the wheel on the hub if it's not even touching the hub? With the 5mm spacer, will the hub still contact the centering ring? Do you recall the part number for your H&R's? Is it PN1064595?

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
No you want PN 10656710. The ones you listed are for a Mazda 323.

I would imagine that the rings center the wheel on the spacer, and since the spacer is mounted perfectly centered and flush on the hub, it bolts up perfectly.

The wheels I'm currently using are hubcentric and don't need rings, so I don't have firsthand experience yet using both spacers AND centering rings to prove this theory... but I will soon. My 73mm bore 17x9" wheels (and hub centering rings to match them) should arrive next week, and I'll let you know how the rings work (or don't work) with the 5mm spacers.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome. I think I'll wait for your feedback. I don't want to waste money on something that isn't going to work. Here are the billet spacers I was talking about. They're completely custom and you can get them wheelcentric AND hubcentric. A set of 2 is $90 + $25 shipping though. There has to be a better deal out there.

http://www.motorsport-tech.com/wheel_spacers.html

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's true, but these custom spacers don't come with extended studs.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[quote author=cali_axela link=topic=156443.msg3331118#msg3331118 date=1253310629]
My 73mm bore 17x9" wheels (and hub centering rings to match them) should arrive next week, and I'll let you know how the rings work (or don't work) with the 5mm spacers.
[/quote]
Did you test this out? Results?

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Yeah, my 245's don't clear the lower spring perch on my coilovers even with the 5mm spacers. So I need shorter springs in order to raise up the perch and keep ride height the same.

Oh also, I didn't even feel the need to use the spacers with the wheels. They seem fine just centered naturally via tightening the lugs correctly, even though the wheel bore is larger than the hub.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. I'll give the cheap spacers a try and see what happens.

·
Registered
461 Posts
[quote author=cali_axela link=topic=156443.msg3366742#msg3366742 date=1255401706]
^ Seems like a good choice, and slightly cheaper than my H&R Trak+ spacers.
[/quote]

are yours hubcentric? i'm looking for 5mm hubcentric spacers

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi,
Some of the responses above suggest that there are rubbish on the internet that one should read widely.

Wheel-hub MUST be supported by the axle hub, otherwise the lug(S) have to support the weight of the car, & hence risk breaking. Also, the wheels are UN-likely to be center & hence vibration @ say 70 km/hr.

How do i know... I stuffed up.
Good luck.

Broken wheel studs - why spigot / hub rings are so important with aftermarket wheels.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi,
Spigot (Hubcentric ring) is 67mm & the OEM wheel-hub is 67.1mm. Mazda allows 0.1mm tolerance. Is it possible to use your eye to get the wheel center within 0.1mm ?
With a cheap spacer, the weight of the car is on the wheel-nuts. What is the risk-> Broken wheel studs - why spigot / hub rings are so important with aftermarket wheels.

Even with 'billet spacers with built-in hubcentric rings', (such as the one below) the weight on the car is still on OEM wheel-nuts.

Look @ the structure of your spigot & its connection to the solid rotor-> https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2858/9570661101_9cff351c33_b.jpg
Now look @ the 5 wheel-nuts. Which structure can carry more load ?

2 QTY 20mm 5x114.3 Hyundai Mazda Hubcentric Wheel Spacers Adapters 5x4.5 | eBay

1 - 17 of 17 Posts