Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will a abs hub bearing assembly work on a non abs car? i ask this since the ABS hub bearing assembly costs about 50%less in price. I figure if the design is the same and all is hanging out in the plug in for the ABS. then i can bypass the sensor wire and use the HUB. Let me know your thoughts.thanks, Roger

How much does a Hub bearing replacement cost at a tire shop...not a stealership!..thanks

·
Registered
663 Posts
You would need to go to an autoparts store, and find out what exactly is different. I'm not sure if the ABS tone-ring on the hub is internal or external to the hub-bearings. I wouldn't do it. If it's an internal tone ring, working without a sensor could allow contaminants to enter.

As to the cost being twice as much, I just looked at the units on Rockauto.com, and I don't see that. Looks like the rear units are about the same with or without ABS. Fronts are about $10 more WITHOUT ABS. I suspect it's economies of scale. Most Mz3's probably have ABS. The higher-volume units will cost less.
Timken Front non-ABS: $70.79
Timken Front ABS: $61.89
Timken Rear non-ABS: $86.79
Timken Rear ABS: $85.79
BCA/National Front non-ABS: $91.79
BCA/National Front ABS: $80.79
BCA/National Rear non-ABS: $154.79
BCA/National Rear ABS: $155.79
I'm guessing those BCA units are some sort of racing brand. Timken is a fine brand for bearings, and I certainly wouldn't pay double for a street car. Maybe that's why someone quoted you double.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Thanks for the informative post brakeman. I found out that I needed to get my rear passenger bearings replaced. Goodyear Gemini was going to charge me $167.00 for what I could buy for almost half-priced at rockauto.com. And I think they do have the best prices all around.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, considering our cars have been on the market for a while, I'm sure other people will benefit from this just as much as I will.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts