Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so my first 8 ,months of ownership i was extremely happy with everything about my 3. i'm happy to say that i still am except that the past few weeks I've started to notice the wheel gap more and more. i understand that for what the 3 is, the wheel gap isn't bad at all and is much better than cars much more expensive. it's just that I've seen so many pictures, mostly on here, of 3s lowered out and they look SO damn good.

anyway my question is: i want to do a very slight lowering. probably less than one inch. i want my 3 to look better, more aggressive and handle a little better. i often have 5 people in my car though and don't want to start rubbing. i also dont want to give up TOO much of the ride quality but I'm willing to give up as much as needed to improve handling and get rid of 3/4-1 inch.

what should i do if i want to lower it 3/4-1 inch?

stock springs ok? if not which ones for such a mild drop?
will i still need to replace shocks? etc...
any info is appreciated

thanks in advance guys

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
what you described is exactly what the racing beat springs will offer. about .5 of an inch all the way around. little stiffer than oem and won't drop it too much at all.

careful though, the need to go lower is addictive.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I'd also recommend some struts if you want that improved handling feel. Matching some great struts to some springs always yield the best results.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I think if you got the racing beat springs, or Eibach Prokits then the OEM struts should last a decent while.

If you drop any lower, then the ride will get abusive over time like it did for me. I had Tein S-techs that eventually made the ride too harsh for my passengers.

So ultimately, I ended up with Prokit + Koni FSDs and I'm liking them a lot.

My passengers still say the ride is bumpy, which is true... but the hits are definitely not as hard. :)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Just me like me. Tell your passengers they can @#$ing walk if they don't like it. You buy your car for you and your immediate family. YOU if you're the primary driver of it. ;)

The next time they ask for a ride, tip your glasses down, look them square in the eyes.. and mutter "No dice". Then rip outta there.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
[quote author=biped link=topic=67811.msg1167953#msg1167953 date=1169700998]
careful though, the need to go lower is addictive.
[/quote]

He's right. I started with S-Tech springs, now K-Sport coilovers, and now I'm planning to go even lower with custom rear perchs this weekend if the weather permits.

Hopefully will be tucking some tire all around :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[quote author=EvilDeadFan link=topic=67811.msg1168117#msg1168117 date=1169719174]
Just me like me. Tell your passengers they can @#$ing walk if they don't like it. You buy your car for you and your immediate family. YOU if you're the primary driver of it. ;)

The next time they ask for a ride, tip your glasses down, look them square in the eyes.. and mutter "No dice". Then rip outta there.
[/quote]

my friends wouldn't have a problem with the harsher ride. my family would. plus if i lowered it too much i might start rubbing with 5 people

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had a near 2" drop, then moved back UP (yes, UP!) to a 1.2" Eibach Pro Kit.
Why? Same problem you outline - people in the car, need for some ride comfort still.
I can recommend the Pro Kit. Nice drop, still handles well. But any lowering is going to compromise the car when fully loaded.
You must drive it differently!
I'd say the racing beat 1/2" drop's not really worth it. That little drop is a bit 'why bother?'.
Also, I've found you can't beat Eibach or H&R for quality coils. Those Germans (and their US counterparts, of course!) just put masses of time and effort into creating best product around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts