Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to replace my front bearing but I am not 100% on how to remove it.

Looking at this bulletin http://www.finishlineperformance.com/pdf/mazda3/bulletin/04-001-07-1746b.pdf

It looks like it needs to be pressed out of the knuckle (step 10 & down). Not something I can loan a tool to do (like a hub puller). I think I have to remove the whole knuckle and bring it into a shop to get the old bearing/hub assembly press out and have a new one press back into the knuckle.

Can anyone with experience verify this?

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Yea it's pressed in, but the mazda design makes it pretty easy to remove the spindle from the car, the bearing does need to be pressed in, a shop would probably charge about $50 a side to do it.

It's not like the above link with has a bolt in hub

·
Registered
55 Posts
I looked at doing my wheel bearing replacement myself but when I saw mention of special service tools and pressing stuff in and out I just took it to the dealer. I guess I should have tried to do it myself but I just didnt want the hassle for once.

·
Registered
421 Posts
This post is really old! haha oh well, hope this helps someone. I just did both my fronts, I am a mechanic though so I had a press and hub tamer at my disposal. Your best bet is to take out the steering knuckle yourself, by the new bearings and take it to a shop to have the old pressed out and the new pressed in. If your car was built before Jan. 2005, you have to buy the bearing/hub assembly. If it was built after, you can just buy the bearing. Make sure when your ordering either one that you know if you have ABS on your car. Also, if you get just the bearings, make sure they are installed the correct way, if they are put on "backwards", you will get a ABS light in your cluster and will have to do the whole thing over. The bearings have tone rings in them and if installed wrong, the wheel speed sensor will not be able to see the tone ring.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I want to replace my front bearing but I am not 100% on how to remove it.

Looking at this bulletin http://www.finishlineperformance.com/pdf/mazda3/bulletin/04-001-07-1746b.pdf

It looks like it needs to be pressed out of the knuckle (step 10 & down). Not something I can loan a tool to do (like a hub puller). I think I have to remove the whole knuckle and bring it into a shop to get the old bearing/hub assembly press out and have a new one press back into the knuckle.

Can anyone with experience verify this?
It makes it easier but you don’t have to do it that way. Can use a hub puller and cut the inner race off hub. Then pound the new bearing in with hammer. Use a bearing tool. Do not directly hit the bearing. Damage will occur

1 - 7 of 7 Posts