Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have RS-A tires on my 3 HB.

I live in Maryland and it has been in the 30-40 degrees F.

How much pressure should I put in the tires? Written on the side of the tire is 44 psi maximum. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
The best way to tell for sure is to do a "chalk test". Drive till your tires are at normal operating temperature, then use chalk to write along the tread section, then drive a bit (~25 feet) and inspect the chalk line.

If the chalk line is worn away in the middle you have too much air, if its worn on the sides you have too little. Ideally it should be worn away evenly across the tire.

On a side note, I NEVER follow car manufacturers recommended tire pressures, there are (were) Ford Exploer owners who are dead because they did. I'm old and smart enough to figure it out for myself.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
raitchison said:
The best way to tell for sure is to do a "chalk test". Drive till your tires are at normal operating temperature, then use chalk to write along the tread section, then drive a bit (~25 feet) and inspect the chalk line.

If the chalk line is worn away in the middle you have too much air, if its worn on the sides you have too little. Ideally it should be worn away evenly across the tire.

On a side note, I NEVER follow car manufacturers recommended tire pressures, there are (were) Ford Exploer owners who are dead because they did. I'm old and smart enough to figure it out for myself.
Thanks raitchison, that's a very handy way to find a good tire pressure. I'm going to buy some chalk tomorrow and test it out. I guess this will be something I could do as the weather gets warmer and warmer too.

This is great!

·
Registered
51 Posts
thanks.. it makes sense. just out of curiousity, what pressure did you end up putting in after doing this test? I've been following the manufacturer suggested 32, and it feels a bit funny.

-tito

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I would use 34F/32R so it helps with the weight of the engine on the front wheels.

Or 36/34 if you like it better

·
Registered
744 Posts
n1smo said:
mytiggr said:
I have RS-A tires on my 3 HB.

I live in Maryland and it has been in the 30-40 degrees F.

How much pressure should I put in the tires? Written on the side of the tire is 44 psi maximum. Thanks guys.
Above 32 psi = no TPMS light. I have 35 psi in mine right now.
Mine TPMS didn't go off until 26 psi all around.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
raitchison said:
That's not true. It's not entirely Fords fault, or the tire company (who was it, Bridgestone?). It's the owners. Next time you are on the road, take a look at how many people driving large SUVs have at least one tire that looks like it has low pressure.

No offense to anyone, but letting little men and women (or rich men and women) that don't like to check the oil or tire pressure in the car drive is a hazard. If you don't know how to car for the car, leave it the f* alone. :)

Now... That said, the PSI for the Protege seems low too, but that's usually how low profile tires are.

G

·
Well I feel dumb... After 3 weeks owning the car, I bought a digital tire gauge and found my pressure was set to 48-50lbs!! Since I was nowhere near an air pump at the time, I didn't bleed them all the way down to 32lbs - instead I left them at 38lbs.
I'm kicking myself for not checking earlier, but I'm still mad at the dealer for delivering the car with the tires so out of spec, and not noticing when I brought the car back for brake work!

-Matt

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
The dealer spec is 40.

I know because that's what they put mine to every time I visit.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
DJ Spencer said:
That's not true. It's not entirely Fords fault, or the tire company (who was it, Bridgestone?). It's the owners. Next time you are on the road, take a look at how many people driving large SUVs have at least one tire that looks like it has low pressure.
Whenever I'm driving in traffic I'm always looking at people's tires wondering how they allow them to get so low or so bald. Only once did I have to get bald tires and slide off the freeway to learn to check my tire pressure and get them rotated on a regular basis :lol: . Now, I even have my own compressor. I've learned the hard way that dealers like to inflate the tires ridiculously high-it makes the car look better by having the tires inflated that much. Everybody is going to have a different opinion on where to inflate your tires to, but basically minimum inflation would be the factory settings, and you prolly don't wanna go more than 10psi over that.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Honestly, I wouldn't bee too surprised if this results in wheelhop.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Har, har.....

No, it's called being at work and fear of getting caught surfing the net.

I don't fear anyone tracking it - only because I do that job. :)

Just fear others walking in - so I don't always watch what I type.

·
Registered
118 Posts
mine are 35psi on all tires now.

I had to let air out cause the moron dealers had ~45psi in every tire when they sold me the car and then my TPMS light went on after a day of driving... so then i realized they were overinflated.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts