Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In other words.... where do you put your hands on the wheel when driving?

I drive auto with my left hand only on the 9 position(just above the cd buttons) and thats it with my elbow leaning against the window.

My right hand is either on the stick or playing with my radio and passenger :wink:

·
Registered
96 Posts
I use to drive with only my left hand but switched over to two hands (at around 3 and 9 o'clock) when I got a RX-7 Turbo that didn't have power steering. I felt kind of dorky at first but now it feels unnatural not to have both hands on the wheel.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
i usually go with 9 or 12 when cruising or using manual mode...and then 9 and 3 when i need to concentrate lol....

·
Registered
238 Posts
i'm at 9-3 also

used to drive 1 hand at around the 7 holding on to the steering column (bar?) there when i had the 4 bar (?) middle section

but with the steering wheel of the mz3 having only 3 parts in the middle section.....i havent found any spot that i feel comfortable with other than the 9-3

(haha....sorry i dont know the name for the middle section)

·
Registered
656 Posts
Left hand at 10, right at 2 when i'm not shifting. I usually keep my left hand at 10, but if i'm relaxing, or cruising, then i put my left fingers at around 7:30'ish position. Right hand doing nothing, at that time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was a one-hand 12 driver in my Jeep on the road
and a 9 on trails

But it depends on the speed and the car
with my Mz3 i drive two hands on 9 and 3 with my thumb in the notch at high speeds 125 + (avent passed 170 yet)

and 1 and at 9 with my elbow on the window armrest in traffic or at 6
with my elbow on my knee

on my GF's sunfire i always drive one hand...either at 12 or at 6

·
Registered
432 Posts
left hand at 9 .. right hand fingers tapping with the beats around the shifter or on my lap.

left hand at 6 when i'm tired..

when i both hands are busy.. i used my left thigh to hold the wheel at 6:30 (of course only when the road is straight :lol: )

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
turtle said:
i'm at 9-3 also

used to drive 1 hand at around the 7 holding on to the steering column (bar?) there when i had the 4 bar (?) middle section

but with the steering wheel of the mz3 having only 3 parts in the middle section.....i havent found any spot that i feel comfortable with other than the 9-3

(haha....sorry i dont know the name for the middle section)

I also (used to in your case) drive with my hand wrapped around the spoke near 7 o'clock, and I have my right hand around the 1-2 o'clock position.

I will probably adapt to the Mazda3 steering wheel, by having my hands at the 9 o'clock, and 1-2 o'clock positions. It will be nice not having to reach over to the radio to change stations, and have both hands on the wheel, unless I am in a more relaxed driving situation.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sadly, I have both my hands at about 6. If you ever see a silver M3 with a novice sign driving like a maniac, that would be me. (in surrey bc)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts