Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to find out what the best available subwoofer is that can fit under a front passenger seat. Powered or unpowered. I'm looking for quality rather than loudness -- something one could stand to use with classical music. I am not willing to sacrifice cargo space to a sub. I'd really rather not build my own enclosure.

I'm figuring I'll probably get Infinity Reference for the doors... when I shop for home audio speakers I keep ending up with Infinity.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
JL I think finally came out with like a 3" mount sub. I know Blaupunkt has had one for awhile thats as thick as a AA battery, which is like 1 1/2"-2". Those would both fit in a nice little custom box

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm actually interested in something similar myself, quality over sheer quantity. Thus far I've located three powered options:

[1] Kenwood KSC-SW1 (One dual voice coil 6-1/2" woofer w/ another 6-1/2" passive radiator woofer). Seems to get decent reviews. There's a discussion about this one going on here => http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=58936.msg1260624#msg1260624.
[2] JVC CS-BB2 (single 6" woofer). Ok reviews, but doesn't seem to be as good as the Kenwood.
[3] Clarion SRV303 (single 7" woofer). Can't find a whole lot of info on this one - gets mixed reviews in what I have found.

As far as non-powered options go, the problem with the custom box under the seat (at least for Bose owners) is where do you mount the amp. Personally, unless I can get something decent to go under the front seat I may just go with a custom enclosure built into the left rear of the hatch (where the jack is stored).

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I saw the Kenwood thread, I just have no idea if the thing is good quality or not.

Personally, I am non-Bose, so I can just stick the amp under the driver's seat. And I would think that placing amps is much less trouble than enclosures, so just give first pick to the enclosure and make the amp deal with whatever is left.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So here's my idea, we all go here => http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/contactthunderForm.cfm and request a ThunderForm be made for the trunk of the 3. MTX is overwhelmed by the tremendous demand generated by owners from mazda3forums.com and makes one. We all slap amps under the passenger seat and rock out.

:party:

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
[quote author=extour link=topic=71921.msg1267469#msg1267469 date=1173900375]
Yeah, I saw the Kenwood thread, I just have no idea if the thing is good quality or not.

Personally, I am non-Bose, so I can just stick the amp under the driver's seat. And I would think that placing amps is much less trouble than enclosures, so just give first pick to the enclosure and make the amp deal with whatever is left.
[/quote]

My wife has that Kenwood one... and it's pretty good for the price/size. However... if you can find a seperate sub/amp/box combo that will fit, you'll be better off. There is significantly more space under the passenger seat as I recall... so I'd start by removing the bolts on that seat... tip it back so you can work underneath it... and start building cardboard cut-out boxes.

Figure out the biggest box you can build under there... and see what might fit. If you get the dimensions for the largest box that'll fit under there... there's lots of people here who can help you find a sub to work in that space. So far I don't think anyone's done this yet (component sub under the seat), so I would guess nobody has those measurements yet.

As for an amp... like you said, driver's seat works great. Plenty of room for an amp there.

Or... if you want the easier option.. go with one of those powered ones. I would describe their sound as "good, not great". I'm happy with the sound from the KSC-SW1... but it falls well short of the clarity and quality of sound from my single 12 IDQ sub.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Pioneer makes a low profile sub, so does Elemental Designs.... and they both can fit in a small box.. i think the eD only needs .3 cubic feet for a box to work that is sealed.

Stay away from the Kenwood, its huge for one thing, cheap plastic box, works with a passive radiator that doesnt work very well.. says 250 watts but i think thats stretching it a bit...

Pioneer even has sub boxes you can buy specifically for the low profile subs they make... 8 inch is the smallest that they make.

·
Registered
130 Posts
[quote author=plazma link=topic=71921.msg1268181#msg1268181 date=1173920693]
Pioneer makes a low profile sub, so does Elemental Designs.... and they both can fit in a small box.. i think the eD only needs .3 cubic feet for a box to work that is sealed.

Stay away from the Kenwood, its huge for one thing, cheap plastic box, works with a passive radiator that doesnt work very well.. says 250 watts but i think thats stretching it a bit...

Pioneer even has sub boxes you can buy specifically for the low profile subs they make... 8 inch is the smallest that they make.
[/quote]

That is wrong information if you are talking about the Kenwood KSC-SW1. It is a cast aluminum enclosure and has 150watts peak, 75 RMS. It is decent for classical music and best of all a tidy installation. Of course separates have the potential to be superior, but for me at least, I am happy with the Kenwood. It is so much better than having no sub at all. I am reserving the space under the drivers seat for other amps...

·
Registered
258 Posts
I put everything in trunk so its nice a tidy... dont have to worry about it getting wet during snowy wet days... plus i couldnt fit my amp under the seat.. i have JL Audio 5/500 which is about 20 inches long.. but i was going for a real sub, not a boom box. When i do things, i want to do them right.. not halfway.
Plus the guy said he wanted something that sounded good... the kenwood is not a musical sub at all, there isnt any tonality at all to it... its just noise... like a bazooka.
Only thing under my seat is the Audio Control LC6i and the bose garbage that came with the car.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[quote author=plazma link=topic=71921.msg1268418#msg1268418 date=1173930240]
the kenwood is not a musical sub at all, there isnt any tonality at all to it... its just noise... like a bazooka.
[/quote]

Thanks. I'll maybe look into some of those Pioneer premade enclosure options or something.

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
well, thanks to the OP for posting the question, as I was looking for some suggestions as well, or at least some different options...and/or opinions.

I prefer to hear what i'm buying first but sometimes you have to go with specs and reviews...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts