Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Mazda3 2.0 w preferred package, deep dark blue
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Wondering if anyone has 'as tested' numbers of a stock Mazda3i Touring w/ a 5-speed manual vs. a 2006 Civic sedan w/ an auto trans? And no...I'm not 18 yrs old. Prolly older than most of you folks on here... :p

Thought I'd ask, since I'd figure my buddy the Civic owner will......(you know) will tell me how his is "better", since I just got the Mazda3. :eek:

Thanks!
:lol:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Reported numbers for the 2.3L engine are in the 0-60 is usually between 7.5-8.5 seconds. My guess would be that the 2.0L will be around .5 seconds slower than the 2.3L.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I can't tell you the exact 0-60 times but we can examine the paper numbers:

2008 Honda Civic DX: curb weight: 2690 lbs. 140 HP. 128 torque @4300 RPM

2008 Mazda 3i: curb weight: 2780 lbs. 148 HP. 135 torque @4500 RPM

The Mazda 3i is about 100 lbs heavier but offers 7 more lb/ft of torque. However, that torque comes 200 rpm later in the power band.

I would say these cars are about equal, so if you are good at driving stick you will definetely be faster in a 0-60. The civic automatic will probably upshift to 2nd gear at about 4000 rpm when your friend is flooring it in first gear, those things tuned for fuel economy. You'll be bouncing off the red line as you leave him behind :dance:

·
Registered
239 Posts
I’ve tested my car (2.0-liter, 5-speed manual) from 0-60 mph many times and it consistently required 7.8 to 8.2 seconds depending on wheel spin. That’s using a 3,000-rpm clutch drop and using the clutch to not let the revs fall below 3,000.

I’ve also tested my neighbor’s 2007 Civic EX Coupe with a 5-speed manual. He leased the car and didn’t care if I beat the crap out of it for a little while. (By the way, both tests were done with just me in the car. I was on the same road and shifted at redline with both cars.) The best time I got with the Civic was 9.2 seconds to 60 mph. And that was with a 5,000-rpm clutch drop with moderate wheel spin. I was much harder on the Civic than I was on my Mazda 3. (I have no idea why the car magazines claim the 1.8-liter Civic is in the high seven-second range to 60 mph.) My guess is that the automatic is slightly slower than the stick. It is likely the automatic Civic is in the mid 9-second range to 60 mph.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda3 2.0 w preferred package, deep dark blue
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, that's very informative. I too wonder how they are getting ~7 sec. 0-60 on a manual Civic DX, on some of these car mags(??)

I know that the auto Civics (or most any car) will do alot slower...

Just curious, but what 'device' did you use to test the two cars?

Thanks All.....

:p

·
Banned
292 Posts
I raced my friend in his 2006 LX in second gear and I pulled him a little.

But for the most part they are very even.

·
Registered
239 Posts
[quote author=quikz link=topic=139350.msg3012735#msg3012735 date=1237854042]

Just curious, but what 'device' did you use to test the two cars?

Thanks All.....

:p
[/quote]

I used a hand held stopwatch. I kept it in my right hand so I could still shift gears and used my left hand to keep steering wheel straight. I made two or three runs for consistency.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts