Mazda3 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After hearing so much about rim size, tire width and offset numbers, the only thing we are certain is that 16/17 X 6.5 Offset 52.5mm works (BECAUSE IT IS STOCK! :wink: )

SO, Has anyone actually put aftermarket wheel packages on yet? If so please specify the following so that we know what fit and what does not.

Rim size: 17 X 7.0, etc
Offset: 43 mm etc
Tire Size: 205/40/17 etc

IF YOU TRIED SOMETHING THAT DOES NOT FIT, PLEASE ALSO LET US KNOW SO NO ONE MAKES THE SAME MISTAKE AGAIN!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Great idea!

Would save me a lot of time, tylenol and money :p

·
Registered
202 Posts
well, what offset of 17" wheels would i need upgrading from the factory 16", I was thinkin some lightweight 17s with toyo proxes t1-s tires. Let me know what would work whether it would be 17x7 or 17x7.5 and i was thinkin 17x7.5 with 205/40-17

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
As good info for the beginning of the thread, what's the stock 16" and 17" rim size, tire size and offset numbers?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I would love to know if anyone has fitted 18's on their 3??? What they had to do to get them on there....oh and some pics!!!! :wink:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I tried 17x7 wheels with the stock tires (RS-A's) and an offset of 40 and it fitted like a glove, pushing the wheels out just a bit. I strongly recommend deep dish wheels (with the machined lip). IMO, these wheels give the car kind of a bulldog stance, especially for the hatch, even if the car is not lowered yet.

By the way, I noticed at the dealer last week that the mazda 3's with the 17" wheels are now factory equipped with toyo tires. Has anyone heard anything about this?

·
Registered
889 Posts
TitaniumGT3 said:
I tried 17x7 wheels with the stock tires (RS-A's) and an offset of 40 and it fitted like a glove, pushing the wheels out just a bit. I strongly recommend deep dish wheels (with the machined lip). IMO, these wheels give the car kind of a bulldog stance, especially for the hatch, even if the car is not lowered yet.

By the way, I noticed at the dealer last week that the mazda 3's with the 17" wheels are now factory equipped with toyo tires. Has anyone heard anything about this?
Can you provide us with some pictures?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've done some number crunching and come up with this, someone doublecheck and see if I'm correct.

7" rim = 46mm offset
7.5" rim = 40mm offset
8" rim = 36mm offset

These numbers will give you the same amount of backspacing. I turned my wheels to full lock and noticed on my 16" rim that I only have about 1-2" inches of clearance from the inside of the rim to the strut. This number may increase as the rim diameter increases because the strut is at an angle and not perpendicular to the rim. One thing I have noticed is that the back wheels have more room to work with. I think a staggered setup may work well with the 3.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Based on the calculation above, it seems like TitaniumGT3's tire/rim won't fit.....but it does.....mmmm.... :?:

·
Registered
22 Posts
The rims could fit, my numbers only give you the same backspacing as stock. The offsets that I posted will add the extra width towards the fender and not towards the strut. You also have to add in the width of the tire, back in the day I actually had a 205/50/15 on a 10" rim and the lip of rim stuck out about a half inch. You may be able to gain a half inch or so in fender clearance if you get a slimmer tire.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hehe... I don't think anyone would put in 16" rims instead of the stock 17 inchers, but I needed some R-comps for auto-x and 16" was the most cost-effective way to go. However, you guys can take the width and offset figures for reference.

The rims are 5zigen Inperio M-05. 16x7" with 43mm offset. Dual bolt pattern (5x114.3 and 5x100).

The tires are 225/50/16 Yokohama A032R.

No rubbing whatsoever. But the front tires do look like they are sticking out a bit too far outwards. So maybe some other offset with narrower tires would be much more suited for the street.

Will try it at the auto-x this Sunday and see if my car handles better now. :D

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
NICE!!!

I prefer a darker color, though ;)

1 - 20 of 136 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.