Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks. I am planning on changing my MS3 tranny/gear oil at my next oil change even though it will be only 8000km.

So my question is because of the LSD in the MS3, could someone tell me what tranny/gear oils are safe to use? I was eyeing Motul's Motylgear a semi-synthetic (but I would like full) and their website says not made for LSD's. I did call the Motul distributor for the GTA and he said that Motylgear is compatible with our cars as it has been used with the MS6 without complaint and it is a 75W-90 GL4 or GL5.

What do I need to know? I want something that will keep the shifting smooth and ensure the tranny/gears are working as best they can.

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers!

Spyder

·
Registered
471 Posts
I went to the dealer to inquire about special additives they could be putting with the oil and they told me it's straight gear oil in there (same as MS6)

I'll be putting Amsoil SVG 2000 series next week. I got a good deal on 6 quarts from a dealer in the area for half price.

·
Registered
129 Posts
You can use Royal Purple Max Gear (have some sitting around for my first change)
RedLine MT90 or MTL and add their limited slip additive if you experience any chatter related problems. (used in my Miata for years and many racing seasons)

Or Mobil1. I use it in my Buell (Harley) that has a wet clutch (same as a LSD) with no problems.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Mobil 1 is a GL-5, I have 4 quarts in my basement that I bought for my truck, so I have been doing a bit of research trying to find out if it would be good for our car that is rated for GL-4. After going back and forth for a while, I head GL-5 is fine and is better than GL-4, however I recent found something that makes me want to stay with a GL-4 in my car.

GL-4: Specified for hypoid gear service without shock loading, but still moderate to severe service (high speed/low torque and low speed/high torque). These lubes may be used in manual transmissions and transaxles where EP additives are acceptable and typically contain a different zinc additive combination. This classification is still commonly used, but is also obsolete. It is also a commonly specified for marine outboard and stern drive lower unit gears and bearings where the manufacturer specifies GL-4 rated performance. GL-4 rates lubes are not recommended as a replacement for GL-5 rated lubes. “GL-5 rated lubes shows significantly better anti-wear (anti-score) properties than GL-4 rated oils under similar service conditions”

GL-5: Specified for hypoid gears under shock loading and severe service operating conditions used in cars and trucks. This is the most common and widely used specification today. These lubes have a high level of EP additives and, depending on the manufacturer and formulation, could be mildly corrosive to non-ferrous parts in certain applications.

Until I can find proof that it wont hurt our transmissions, Im gonna stay away from GL-5. Im not the oil authority, do what you will of your own accord.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went to my dealer and spoke with the service manager and he gave a typical answer that he says Mazda will take seriously. If you change the tranny oil and something happens to the tranny, Mazda will seriously look at what you have done prior to repairing it under warrenty and if the tranny oil you used is not within their specs...you are screwed. I can kind of understand that but at the same time, the maual is not very specific about using sythtics. Some oils are GL4 and 5. None the less, I won't be changing the tranny oil this year. The service manager said wait at least a year to see if there are any glitches with the tranny.

What can you say to that?

Spyder

·
Registered
986 Posts
I found these on Redline's website:

MTL
This 70W80 GL-4 Gear Oil (SAE 5W30/10W30 engine oil viscosity) is designed for use in manual transmissions and transaxles. Provides excellent protection of gears and synchronizers and its balanced slipperiness provides a perfect coefficient of friction, allowing easier shifting. Popular in many BMW transmissions and in most Honda and Acura transaxle applications.

MT-90
Popular in Nissan, Toyota and Mazda manual transmissions and transaxles as well as other selected applications, this is a 75W90 GL-4 Gear Oil that’s slightly heavier than MTL. Provides excellent protection of gears and synchronizers and its balanced slipperiness provides a perfect coefficient of friction, allowing easier shifting.

Does anyone know which to use in the Speed3 - I want to make sure I get the right stuff for the LSD to function properly.
The main reason I want to change the tranny oil is to make the transmission shift smoother, esp. on cold mornings where I get some grinding from 1st to 2nd.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
the MT-90 is the GL 4 stuff and what I believe to be the correct weight and specification for us.
Im diggin the way the stock fluid shifts, so not sure im gonna change mine out anytime soon. Considering how damn cold its been lately, and how smooth it shifts, i cant imagine it getting much better. However, once its hot out, the oil properties may change for the worse, time will tell.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Redline claims a 1% to 5% increase in power when using their syn. engine oil. Would you get a similar increase in hp by putting the redline in your tranny?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Thought there was another really long thread on this subject, but I'm not finding it, so I'll post my response from Amsoil here:

"Thank you for contacting AMSOIL with your concern.

Mazdaspeed 3 takes the same oil as Mazda3 which is API GL-4 or GL-5 in a 75W-90 viscosity. Mazdaspeed3 also contains limited slip and would need an additive with some gear lubricants. AMSOIL GL-5, 75W-90 (product code SVG) does contain a small amount of limited slip additive. Limited slip additive is not normally needed when using SVG but in a very small number of applications if chatter or hard shifting should occurs we suggest the addition of our limited slip additive (product code ADA).

AMSOIL GL-4 75W-90 (product code MTG) will also work very well in your transaxle, however it does not contain any limited slip additive. We would require the addition of ADA limited slip additive when MTG is used.

Have fun with your speed3.

Regards,

Kevin Dinwiddie
STLE/CLS
Technical Products Manager
Drivetrain and Power Transmissions"

I like his description of which ones have slip additive vs. which don't, but from what I've been reading that Mazda uses plain gear lube (no slip additives) on the MS3, I'm inclined to think either Amsoil product will work, though the MTG would be "closer" to what is used stock.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have the Amsoil SVG since 4000 kms in my car (nov 2006) and now at 20000 kms gone through a nice cold winter without a problem.

It was actually a bit smoother at very cold temps.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I just changed to Redline MT90 at about 7k miles. I though I liked the stock oil until about 15 runs down the track. It was starting to scratch every fast shift. I think the fluid was loosing it viscosity. I notice shifting is easier when cold and especialy when powershifting in the upper RPM's. Syncs much quicker now. Around town driving is not much diffrent though. For 25 bucks for 4qts I would say its a must do. Its very easy to do also.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Could you describe how to change tranny oil on MS3?
I tried to search but I couldn't find any instructions, except for automatic transmission on 2.0 MZ3.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
[quote author=redms3gt link=topic=69059.msg1455319#msg1455319 date=1180769034]
I just changed to Redline MT90 at about 7k miles. I though I liked the stock oil until about 15 runs down the track. It was starting to scratch every fast shift. I think the fluid was loosing it viscosity. I notice shifting is easier when cold and especialy when powershifting in the upper RPM's. Syncs much quicker now. Around town driving is not much diffrent though. For 25 bucks for 4qts I would say its a must do. Its very easy to do also.
[/quote]

4 qts ? mine too just under 3 .... why so much for u ?

·
Registered
405 Posts
I bought 4. I used 3.25ish. The fill and the drain look to be the same style of rounded edged looking plug on the front side and bottom of the tranny. 23mm I think. Take the fill out first. That way u know u can fill it. Then drain it and fill from the top plus. I used a pump to get the fluid back in there. Almost easier than the changing oil and filter. I used a lift so depending on how you lifted the car jack. ramps ects. a slightly diffrent amount of oil could be drained and replaced? I a touch more than was in there stock. Stock was 1/4in below the fill bolt. Now its to the fill bolt. I notice I can shift fast enough to chirp third every time without grinding now. That lifting to shift, not just dropping the clutch and reving the piss out of it.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
[quote author=Garu link=topic=69059.msg1457437#msg1457437 date=1180907922]
I tried to search but I couldn't find any instructions, except for automatic transmission on 2.0 MZ3.
[/quote]

yeah, a how to would be nice...thanks!

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
[quote author=Garu link=topic=69059.msg1457437#msg1457437 date=1180907922]
[/quote]Open fill plug to let air in, open drain plug on bottom. Fill with fluid pump till it pours back out the fill hole.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Do we need to add the Limited Slip Friction modifier to the Redline MT-90 or can we just use the MT-90 by itself. I will be changing the Transmission fliud this week and would like to know because I don't want to cause any damage to the limited slip that we have in the MS3.

Thanks for all of the help.

Derek

·
Registered
996 Posts
Someone emailed redline in another thread and they said that the MT-90 by itself would be suitable. The MS3 stock tranny oil doesn't have any LSD additives... but I'm curious if adding the LSD makes it any "better"?

1 - 20 of 108 Posts