Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well for my 18th birthday my parents are getting me a car and I want a mazda 3. They want me to get the sedan, but want the new mazdaspeed3. They think that insurance will be way too high for it though. Anyone know what the insurance difference might be?
P.S. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. 1st post :D

· Registered
6,618 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Pls update your location on your profile.

Get the MS3 if
1. If your parents/you can afford the insurance of an 18yr old with a turbocharged car
2. Whoever's paying can afford the monthly payments on the car
3. Responsible enough to drive a powerful car at such a young age

Get the regular 3 if
1. It's gonna be your first car
2. You're paying for insurance and car payments
3. You're concerned about gas prices

It's fun to have a fast car, but if it's gonna suck all your money from all the payments that you have to sacrifice something in order to keep it, go with the cheaper car and save your money. cause you're gonna get something better when you do get the chance in the future. Good luck on your decision.

· Registered
282 Posts
let me ask you this? I am 18 and I have had 3 jobs to earn money...now if you are still wandering whether or not you should get MS3 ask yourself this: do you have a job and know the value of money? because if you don't go get a job first and try feeling how much your parents have to pay and insurance and gas money. and if you do not have jobs, and you still feel my parents will easily take care of the expenses of the MS3 and decided its better to get MS3 since your parents is paying for everything, you are one fucked up kid.

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welllllll, I've actually had 4 jobs in the past few years. And no I havn't been fired from any, I just discovered I don't like making other people drinks or bagging groceries. Anyway, if I get the ms3 I would be paying for apart of it because it is more expensive. I just need to know if the insurance is drastically different. I mean I know I could do some of those easy mods I saw on this sight to the regular one, but you know, fast car would be fun.
P.S. No tickets, no accidents :D

· Registered
6,618 Posts
[quote author=illusi0n link=topic=73706.msg1309257#msg1309257 date=1175617081]
Welllllll, I've actually had 4 jobs in the past few years. And no I havn't been fired from any, I just discovered I don't like making other people drinks or bagging groceries. Anyway, if I get the ms3 I would be paying for apart of it because it is more expensive. I just need to know if the insurance is drastically different. I mean I know I could do some of those easy mods I saw on this sight to the regular one, but you know, fast car would be fun.
P.S. No tickets, no accidents :D
[/quote]

Tickets and accidents are only part of the payment. Area where you live in, the car itself, and it's "history" (accidents, tickets, being modified), how long have you been driving and sometimes your grades play a part as well. My 17yr old brother has no tickets or accidents and only has a base RSX. My mom pays over $400/month for him- she told me she regrets getting that car for him cause she didn't know it would cost that much, but he wanted it. If she talked to me before getting the car, I would've told her what she was getting into- so lesson learned there. I can imagine how much she would be paying if he was crazy enough to get the car he initially wanted for his 1st car- the STI.

My 3's insurance wasn't too bad, I was paying $170 my 1st year (3's payments were $330), then went down to $140 my 2nd year of ownership. I now pay $120/mo for my S2000's insurance (car=$530/mo).

It's good to have money saved for later.

· Registered
39,367 Posts
Get the regular 3. :) More safe, economical and SMART for a young driver. And this is coming from a relatively young driver too (20).

· Registered
31,524 Posts
the best place to get prices on insurance is your carrier. Call and ask them what it would cost for both....

· Registered
282 Posts
turbo charged engine car and 18 years old male does not go well with your image in front of your insurance agent

· Registered
6,618 Posts
[quote author=pandastew link=topic=73706.msg1310115#msg1310115 date=1175637713]
turbo charged engine car and 18 years old male does not go well with your image in front of your insurance agent
[/quote]

actually it does- lots of commission for the insurance agent :)

· Registered
547 Posts
Yeah, if you notice the agent not paying attention to you it's probably because they'll be thinking about the cruise or vacation they'll be going on with the comission you'll be getting them :)

· Registered
67 Posts
Im 17, getting a 3 sport 2.3l. The price difference is around 5,000$ depending on accessories. Insurance will kill your parents, especially if you get a speeding ticket, or accident. Just get the 3 with the upgraded engine. S model I believe.....

· Registered
282 Posts
haha get mazdaspeed 3 and get screwed by the insurance agent, or go for mazda3 with modded parts and get screwed by the dealership when checkup are due.

· Registered
802 Posts
or get a 3s GT and don't mod it with stuff that'll get you in trouble at the dealership... its a nice car (nicer than the speed imo because it hasa moonroof :p although slower) and you can have a lot of fun with it. save money... then get yourself a Lotus Elise in a couple of years.

· Registered
22 Posts
Get the basic 3i sedan. It's cost effective on payments and insurance. It has enough zoom zoom to keep you happy at the moment. I know that's not what you want to hear but it does make sense.

To be a doomsayer though...get the Speed3 and you will either have so many speeding tickets that your insurance drops you or you'll wreck it. I've seen this too many times. 19 year old barback at my bar got an s2000 from his 'rents...totaled it 2 months later. After that he got a 350Z....totaled that too. He can't be totally held accountable though...his parent's could've use a good smack to the noggin'.

· Registered
581 Posts
I'd have to agree with the majority on this one. I'm 19, and the 3i sedan works just fine for me.

With the necessary mods, you'll be pumpin' out the same amount of whp as a 2.3 3s (non-turbo), and it'll be a lot less than 5 G's for the mods, let me tell ya!
Yeah, go with the 3i sedan. (good for a poor college student haha)

· Registered
792 Posts
You know what? At our age -im 19- we dream of having the fastest car, the coolest one... A MazdaSpeed3 would fullfill that for sure... However, think about reality. A friend of mine got a Focus ST -European hatchback sold in Mexico 5 cil. Turbo 225HP- and he was over-exicted when he got it. It is as cool as the Speed, but guess what? He spend all his money in insurance, fuel, and he has got some speeding tickets. Believe me, with engines like those, it is REALLY HARD NOT TO GO EACH TIME FASTER... Think about this: You buy the normal 2.3 hatch and you spend some REAL GOOD TIME in it.. You save some money, and when time comes you buy the fastest car you can afford, when you -and your responsability- are the required for that to happen. No offense, im also a dreaming guy, but put your feet on the floor and do something you will enjoy, without spending all your money and stressing youself afterwards... :goodjob:

· Registered
581 Posts
AGREED. You can easily get your car up to around 200hp for close to a grand...do the math man.

for one thing, insurance stays the same (you're still paying sedan insurance), and CAI & Exhaust give noticeable gains.
sure, you'll be spending more money on parts to compensate for speed, but is the MS3 really worth several thousand dollars more in the long run?
just my opinion, feel free to criticize...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.