Mazda3 Forums banner

what is the best tint?

What tint is best?

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  grooverider 
#1 ·
So.. regardless of price.. what tint is the best. I was thinking about a very mild tint all around.. and was thinking maybe v-cool, but since transmission is affected throught the winshield i was thinking some other material for the winshield.

#3 ·
Formula One titanium 28% in my Focus, was dark at times, looked good
3M 5% in my Integra, darker than a dark night. Scared the shit outta me.
Llumar 20% in my 3. Looks awesome and seem as light as 28%.

All are great. Plus all the companies here in Co give full lifetime replacement warranties. So it really dont matter which you go with anymore.

#4 ·
vaBooM said:
Formula One titanium 28% in my Focus, was dark at times, looked good
3M 5% in my Integra, darker than a dark night. Scared the shit outta me.
Llumar 20% in my 3. Looks awesome and seem as light as 28%.

All are great. Plus all the companies here in Co give full lifetime replacement warranties. So it really dont matter which you go with anymore.
Do these brands warranty against "purpling"? Most will cover pealing (and thats the installer who's covering the paling in many cases) but I can't find anyone that will cover the purpling. Is there a brand that does??

#5 ·
My warranty covers discoloration, 1 time accidental damage, bubbling and peeling.

Lifetime... well, as long as I own the car that is. I dont think its the so much the brand, because all are very good. Assuming you go with their middle line or so, you shouldnt have a problem. I noticed the really cheap stuff already looks purple..

#7 ·
had Formula One Millenium 35 on my civic and loved it. nice subtle black tint on a dark green car. 7 years and no fading/bubbling, etc. and i loved how it cut down on the glare from headlights at night, too (through the back/side windows, of course--no tinting on windshield).

the warranty was lifetime against fading, discoloration, bubbling, peeling, etc.

probably going to get the same stuff on my new 3, but may wait until it warms up outside. though i have wondered if it is a good idea to go ahead and get it done while the windows are so clean. i know they clean the windows themselves before installation, but i dunno, i'm paranoid about getting things done exactly right, especially on my lovely new car :).

#8 ·
even regardless of cost you guys would go with those other brands? the v-kool looks impressive with it's 90%+ maximum IR (not good if i use fast pass) and UV rejection. I definitely want to get all windows (including the winshield) tinted, but I know after having all the windows tinted on my old accord, it's refreshing to be able to see the world without perpetual sunglasses on, so the v-kool seems really great since it has maximum heat rejection with very good light transmission. Of course that doesn't address the privacy purpose of a tint..or the glare from the sun... but I guess that's why they make v-kool 40.

on my 1998 accord, i had madico, and just about 1 1/2 years ago, the tint in the rear winshield started rippling and bubbling (looked like i was looking through hair gel)

I know it's probably a bad idea to redo the seals on a winshield, but wouldn't being able to remove the front and rear winshields so that the tint can be baked on (like the side windows), completely eliminate this problem? do they ever do this?

Also, anyone else annoyed with the fold down mirrors in the 3? no light in the mirror and it's very small and flimsy.. not long enough (and no extendable piece) to block out driver side sun glare.

#10 ·
I just got my windows tinted a little darker than legal in Maine at 40% and I have 3M Scotchtint I have had this tint in every car I have owned..high quality, very nice..only objection to tint is that it sometimes gets hazy/cloudy after a year or two inside..mine also has a warranty like everyone else is saying

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.