Mazda3 Forums banner

What the Speed3 weights and how it is balanced!!!

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  carmaster22 
#1 ·
Greetings all,

I have been lurking on these boards for a while now, however this is my first post. Thought I would make it a good one.

First off, I picket up my Black Mica speed 3, 3 weeks ago and love it. Only real complaint as of right now is the clunky shifting. I also know there are some issues with the factory tuning so my first modd will be the Cobb Accessport once they release it.

Enough about me.

So a friend of mine rented a set of the Acuset Computer Scales by Longacre.
He has an SRT4 and was looking to setup his coilovers. Anywho, he called me up and offered to put my speed on the scales. With these scales, you not only can see what your car weights, but also how it is balanced. So without further adoo, here ya go

Without me in the car. 1/4 tank of gas

TOTAL = 3109 lbs

LEFT FRONT = 975 lb RIGHT FRONT = 1013 lb
LEFT REAR = 598 lb RIGHT REAR = 522 lb

CROSS = 1610 lb 51.7%
LEFT = 1574 lb 50.6%
REAR = 1121 lb 36.0%

With me in the car (200 lbs) 1/4 tank of gas

TOTAL = 3309 lbs

LEFT FRONT = 1055 lb RIGHT FRONT = 1039 lb
LEFT REAR = 672 lb RIGHT REAR = 550 lb

CROSS = 1711 lb 51.5%
LEFT = 1727 lb 52.0%
REAR = 1220 lb 36.8%

See less See more
#2 ·
thanks for the data, interesting that the left rear is ~75lbs heavier than the right rear, I wonder what accounts for that.
no surprises on the total curb weight with the exception that it seems the car was not measured with a full tank like I assumed.

#4 ·
What is your height? My concern would be that perhaps you might be a FAT ASS (200lbs)!!! It's all in good fun...'just kidding you...thank you very much. Frankly I did not know such a measure existed from right to left...The car would weigh less in my opionion except for the "shared platform" issue that exists amoung all auto manufacturers...Had the 3 weighed in at RX 8 weight - it would be better but would also never be as "balanced" as the lower ceter of gravity possible with the rotery engine. As an aside - the best of both worlds would be a twin turbo Mazda rotorey with 50/50 balance. Times seem to be changing very very fast - Nisson waited way to long to bring the GTR to the states...a lot of autos in the near future are in the 500/600 hp range. The GTR will be only 450 and will cost about 80K. Timing and platforms and engine dynamics are so wild these days...Mazda will actually need to be acting fast on it's next offer to the tuning public...

#6 ·
I have the GT version.

Yes, the tank with more gas would have been better. From my understanding, when most racer's do this type of wieghing, they have half a tank and their battery has been moved to the rear right as well.

not to mention they are gutted and have roll cages in them as well.

The whole purpose in this was for a baseline. I am trying to baseline everything before I make any mods. I will hopefully soon be running a few dyno runs so I have that as well. Just waiting on our local dyno day at a tuner shop. I will post that as well once I get it.

#7 ·
[quote author=Mattleegee link=topic=66255.msg1136407#msg1136407 date=1168125414]
More gas in the tank would bring up the right rear most likely
[/quote]

And another 3/4 of a tank would add about 65 lbs and bring the car up 3175, which I assume is the curb weight of the GT.

#8 ·
kwdozier

u can improve ur ms3 shift feel with awr rear engine mount.....much better with that....i just have that installed last nite.....
i have the 88 one.....its a bit more vibration.....im still trying to get used to it.....but u will feel the different in shifting asap
i have the same color black mica......= )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.