Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So heres my situation. I picked up my brand new MZ3 mid january and as luck would have it, it snows on the day i come to pick her up. So its covered in snow. Brush most of it off, Looks fine. Now I've been driving around and rinsing the car off about every two weeks. The other day wasn't so cold so I actually had time to go out and try to dry it down.

I come across some "unusual" streaking on the hood of my car. At first I thought it was water marks, as they dried while driving. After wiping it down it still wont go away. Seems as if they are trapped underneath the clearcoat. It does look like your usual watermarkings after driving around on wet roads. However under the clear coat. Stretches from about above the grill to the washer nozzles. Mainly in a fairly contained straight line. Seems as if the pigment or flake is in a different direction. Took it to dealer and they tried to buff it out... wont go. So now what??? Should I get them to repaint it? Or maybe get a rebate??

Its not so bad (I'll try to get pics) that you notice it right away... but in certain light or angles it seems to stand out...
I dont wanna repaint a month old car, and I'm affraid that the new paint job in future may not match 100%, crack, peel and fade much faster. I can live with the minor streaking to avoid a hood being of shade or the latter. What do you guys think???

·
Registered
256 Posts
I would make them replace the hood altogether or repaint it. You just spent good money on a car - the damn thing should be perfect. And if they do it right, it should match perfectly. If it doesn't, they can repaint the whole car to match. If a dealer tries to pass of a car to you with obvious defects, they were probably hoping you wouldn't notice or wouldn't want to bother them with the problems. Put the screws to 'em.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay update.... anyway even though I wasn't fond of the idea of repainting a brand new hood.... the efforts of buffing it out wasn't enough. So it was repainted... so far as I can tell it looks just like new. I did notice very very very minor swirl marks, but i know this is unavoidable on a repainted hood because they have to buff it afterward. But I want to know how long should i wait to wash, wax and really do anything to the paint.
I got it back two days ago and I am tempted to wash it by hand, I hearing that i should let it be for at least 3 weeks.. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
153 Posts
There was posts about this problem I believe.

The resolution was to go to your dealer and have them heat up your hood, and the "water spots" under the clear coat go away. I can't remember the thread, but someone else was having the same problem. Got that done, and good as new.

Just thought I'd let ya know.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Didn't know about that one. Wish I knew about that sooner... but anyway the paint is done and still looks good. But thanx for the info. Now I know there might be an alternative. Ill look for the thread. Thanx

·
Registered
62 Posts
I used to paint cars, so I can tell you that after any new paint jobs, you should wait at least 6 months before putting down any wax/paint sealers. You want all of the solvents in the paint to completely dissipate.

I'm not sure about brand new cars (like an MZ3 with a December build date). I brought that up with a techie at work, and he said that the paint on brand new cars have already been cured, so he says that it's ok to lay down the wax/paint sealers on brand new cars.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ah okay thanx...
so i guess ill just wax the rest of the car but the hood. But would that also mean that I couldn't wash it for a few months until it fully cured??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts