Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have a 08' Speed3 and want to spend a little of my tax return on my car. right now i have a Mazdaspeed CAI. RPCM Turbo Inlet. and HKS SSQ Blow off valve. im stuck between doing a turbo back exaust or either the Cobb or CP-e tuner. Which should i do first. If i order the exaust should i get the motor mount with it? thanks

·
Registered
182 Posts
hmm I'm kind of in the same boat! I'm torn between doing the Cp-E TBE straight pipe w/ 1 high flow cat (only to keep state emission happy w/ visual inspection) or Cobb FMIC..

For you & the choices you listed I'd say exhaust w/ motor & tranny mounts. The Cobb AP is also a good choice. So guess it depends on how much $$ you wanna spend.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Forget the full turboback exhaust for now, you can get other better things for that money. Get just the downpipe for now, either CPE or Cobb. Whatever you do GET THE REAR MOTOR MOUNT! With the money you would have spent on the catback you can get many smaller things like a short shifter & bushings, boost gauge and/or dashhawk. Intercooler then fuel pump/internals then an engine management tuner (CPE or Cobb). Catback last.

Just my :2cents:

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
A rear motor mount should definitely be on the list. But personally I'd start doing suspension stuff before doing more engine breathing stuff. The CAI and turbo inlet both give good gains for the price, and while the TBE or a tune will also give gains, they won't be nearly as cost-effective. Getting noticeably more power than you've got currently starts getting much more expensive per HP.

Putting in a rear sway bar and maybe some Cobb springs will do wonders for your handling, and give a much better performance-per-dollar (and smiles per dollar) improvement. Also, a short-shifter w/ bushings is a great upgrade. These are things that improve your overall driving experience, not just straight line pulls.

·
Registered
514 Posts
^^Good Post^^

Just depends on what your looking for. I am gonna get a test pipe then hit the suspension parts.

·
Registered
302 Posts
You can pay the $3,200 I have to pay into the IRS for prize money I was awarded last year. I won $11,500 in Amazon.com gift cards from work and lets just say I didn't pay a single penny for any of the mods on my car (mod list in signature). They were all complimentary from Lenovo :) But now I gotta pay taxes on all that shit so I can't complain to much, it just sucks having to pay in vs getting money back.

So ya i'm just kidding, you dont have to pay my IRS bill but that would be nice. I would recommend you get the cpe or cobb catted downpipe and motormounts before the Cobb AP or CP-E SB. The downpipe was the first mod I did to my car and wow does that do wonders.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I've got the SU TP on my mind and the TurboSmart Hybrid BPV. Hopefully I'll get enough back to pay for both of those. Haha

·
Registered
154 Posts
If I was you I would go with motor mounts/intercooler and/or test pipe. And then save up for your DP/AP. Having no tune/flash system and running your intake mods on with a DP on the stock map is going to leave nothing but on-command boost cuts any time you floor it. So then untill you shit out 700 dollars(if you go AP route) you wont be able to put the pedal to the floor. Im sure you already know this but going exhaust route pretty much seals the deal on warranty work being non existant. -- And before I get flamed, because I know it's coming. I am just speaking from experience. Maybe I was a rare case(pfft) maybe not... I had intake same as you, bov and tmic. When I got that DP on there I was boost cutting all the way home from the shop..(blah blah yes I reset, stfu) And then I was SOL until I bought an accessport.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so i think im gonna order a rear motor mount and either cobb or cp-e catted downpipe for now. depending on how much i get back may get the cobb stage 2 susp. kit. Damn it lowes. send my damn w2

·
Registered
154 Posts
maybe it was my intercooler topped on, who knows... I have read multiple threads though throughout various forums with people semi-heavily bolted asking how to get rid of boost cut on the stock tune lol.. I found out the hard way by ditching my CAI and going with SRI/AP

·
Registered
514 Posts
Boost cut doesn't happen to everyone with "x" amount of bolt ons. It depends on your car, mods, weather conditions, etc.

·
Registered
514 Posts
[quote author=speedythree link=topic=134604.msg2902692#msg2902692 date=1233416740]
Save it!
[/quote]

Edit: Sorry, misunderstood. lol

·
Registered
741 Posts
[quote author=Scatt Nasty link=topic=134604.msg2901638#msg2901638 date=1233362533]
did you read anything I said.. If you install a downpipe with no type of tuning/flash you will get permanent boost cuts until you do so.
[/quote]

It's only happened to me once in a year with FMIC, CAI, TBE, Inlet

1 - 18 of 18 Posts