Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my second season autocrossing my MS3, it looks like this weekend has a strong chance of being a wet one. Rain in the northwest who would have thought. Normally I disable the DSC. I am wondering if this is a bad idea in the rain or if it would still yield quicker times. I am also toying with the idea of trying the trick where you hold down the DSC button while starting the car and disabling the traction control as well. I know that in the wet this is probably a bad idea. In the dry it feels like the car is pulling much harder with both electronic aids disabled. People seem to be in agreement that this double disable trick is good for open track days, how about autocross?

I don't want my day to end early by spinning and going off track. The clubs that I race in, 4 wheels off track equal your day is done.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
dirt runs = shitty way to end the day

Ive found that the ABS helps the car break faster and shorter consistently. when you disable tcs and dsc, it seems to effect the ABS and ive found the brakes tend to lock up and do the ice mode thing more often.

DSC ON is one of the biggest buzz kills. It basically makes any wheelspin a .2+ penalty by opening the wastegate, not a great idea if you want to win.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Turn off everything -- if you run in seattle you'll need to learn to drive smoothly in the rain, and in the end the training wheels only hurt.

(If you're running at bremerton, i'll be there too ...)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is that you Des. I saw that you registered, look forward to seeing you there. I got 3 other people (all mazdaspeed 3s) to come out. They are all in novice pm.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thought I remembered the car -- from a school?

I'm running morning in my Civic but probably will stay for PM in something borrowed. I'll hunt you down ...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You helped me at the Bremerton novice school last year. I think it was around early September. I am running ST3 in the morning and will most likely do something in the PM.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts