Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I got some new Denso Iridium plugs part # ITV20 for my '07 MS3 and can't find any info on what a good gap setting would be. I have a catted CP-E downpipe, CP-E Nano intake and an HKS BPV so far. I'm going with some more go fast goodies down the road along with a CP-E Standback and may go with a colder plug then but I thought the ITV20's would be better for less chance of plugs fouling at this parts level. Denso's site says gap at .045" but I thought this sounded a bit much on a boosted car. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Also should these be worth much horsepower gain over the factory plug? I've seen impressive results on boosted V8 cars and also had a decent seat of the pants in my N/A Stang so I'm hoping for a nice little gain on my MS3. Thanks!

·
Registered
994 Posts
i think you should have gotten the 22's they come gapped perfect. Don't expect to get any power gains from plugs unless your old ones are just destroyed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't think I needed any colder at the moment and I know how colder plugs can act during normal driving conditions unless you absolutely need them. My car has close to 40,000 miles on the factory plugs so I figured now was as good a time as any to change them. What type of plug is the factory one? Aren't they the ones that are supposed to last a long time or something? Least that's what some local parts store told me when I asked about getting the Densos. He was like "Why u need plugs with only 40,000 miles. Them thangs don't need no changin' till 90 to 100,000 miles!" And I was all like "Well on a bolted and boosted car I like to change them more often than recommended. Plus I got all my teeth so STFU noob!" Needless to say I didn't buy them from him because he was stoopid and also he wanted $27 a plug.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I think the manual says every 40k. 80-100k is normal for cars that are not high performance. I think the carbon build up associated with direct injection merrits changes at 30k. I change mine every 15k as per cobb's recommendation.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They were set at .034" so I reset them to .030". Thanks a lot!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts