Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my stock tires on my 2007 mz3 hatch are running out at 20k miles. what new tires should i get?

i know NOTHING about tires. summer/all-season/etc - i don't know the difference. i just want a set that works year-round, reliable, and preferably pretty cheap. i am from Texas so weather doesn't get that bad

suggestions?

·
Registered
424 Posts
I just got a set of Continental ContiExtreme Contacts for a good price. It's an all season which I drove through 6 inches of snow, a rainstorm, and a sunny day all in one month :shock: ...But these tires have been great and I have them on my Speed and they can keep up. Check tirerack.com to get ratings and reviews but I gotta say I LOVE my tires and it's nice and quiet

·
Registered
825 Posts
I picked up a set of Bridgestone RE-01R from Tirerack's closeout sale. Nothing but good reviews on these tires. Great summer tires, but treadlife is not the best.

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
does it get near freezing where you live? if so, you might want all seasons...or at least not UHP or MP Summer tires

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote author=John_in_the_LBC link=topic=138741.msg2991470#msg2991470 date=1236915990]
does it get near freezing where you live? if so, you might want all seasons...or at least not UHP or MP Summer tires
[/quote]
i'd say 1 month out of a year

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I'll suggest something boring and middle of the road like the Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring or BF Goodrich Traction TA. I'm sure Goodyear, Michelin, Toyo, Yokohama, etc all have similar H-rated "touring" type tires that will do the job at a reasonable cost. You won't get the dry traction of a high performance tire but they will be comparable to the stock tires. Wet traction will probably be better than a high-perf tire (I hear it rains pretty hard in Texas sometimes) and tread wear will definitely be better. Basically, they would feel and drive pretty much like the stock tires.

You probably could go with an S or T rated all season tire but even on my base model with 15" tires they are H-rated with 2-ply sidewalls. I have a feeling single ply S or T rated tires would feel really soft and floppy on this car. I wouldn't do it but there are a lot of 3-5 year old Mazda3s out there which must have had the stock tires replaced by now and I bet a lot of them got fitted with pretty basic all seasons.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i'm gonna get new tires next week. i've decided on Kumho, Falken, or Toyo

where should i go? there is a NTB, discount tire, and sears close to me...

·
Registered
253 Posts
Go General Tire! You won't regret it. They deliver what other overpriced brands wish they could.

General Altimax HP (grand touring all season, A++, on my car)
General Exclaim UHP (Ultra High Performance Summer, also has great reviews)

Go to tirerack.com and read reviews on all the tires people have suggested.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Great tire. I had them on one of my previous cars. They're pretty stiff, so they don't have a great ride, and they aren't too quiet. But they handle good and have tons of grip, if thats what your looking for.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
how do you think the SPT compares to ASX? i live in texas, so weather isn't a big issue. which one lasts longer? and should i go for 45 or 50?

·
Registered
424 Posts
I've had the ASX on my Nissan years go and they were great in Rain/Dry but they wore down kinda quick with some spirited driving. Not sure how you drive but I didn't get much life out of mine...otherwise a great tire. My buddy has them on his 400hp GTO and hasn't complained about them either

·
Registered
879 Posts
[quote author=stranger706 link=topic=138741.msg2997899#msg2997899 date=1237234135]
Go General Tire! You won't regret it. They deliver what other overpriced brands wish they could.

General Altimax HP (grand touring all season, A++, on my car)
General Exclaim UHP (Ultra High Performance Summer, also has great reviews)

Go to tirerack.com and read reviews on all the tires people have suggested.
[/quote]

My Altima had General tires OE and they stunk.. They wore out so fast I got 4 sets within the 1st yr and got tired of it and payed my own way for something else.

i'd never recommend Generals or put them on.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
okay so i have decided on kumho ASX cause several pple recommend them and good price range. problem is they are all out of stock here and i am about to make a 250mile trip back to school this weekend. i'm just paranoid, and think my tires will "pop" and go out on me. should i be worried?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts