Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Modular construction offers easy system expansion with future media.

Easy-to-use piano style-buttons and knobs can be operated without looking away from the road.

A “light bar” of LEDs mounted on either side of the volume control knob responds to operations, giving a visual impression that the car is interacting with you.

Steering wheel mounted audio switches provide easy, safe operation while driving. (Standard on GS and GT models and available with convenience package on GX model.)

Up to six speakers to deliver superior sound quality throughout the vehicle.
Most interesting (I added the emphasis).

So... the Mazda 3 has a modular stereo system... does that mean that we CAN put an aftermarket stereo system AND add speakers on our own?

·
Registered
70 Posts
dugrant153 said:
Modular construction offers easy system expansion with future media.

Easy-to-use piano style-buttons and knobs can be operated without looking away from the road.

A “light bar” of LEDs mounted on either side of the volume control knob responds to operations, giving a visual impression that the car is interacting with you.

Steering wheel mounted audio switches provide easy, safe operation while driving. (Standard on GS and GT models and available with convenience package on GX model.)

Up to six speakers to deliver superior sound quality throughout the vehicle.
Most interesting (I added the emphasis).

So... the Mazda 3 has a modular stereo system... does that mean that we CAN put an aftermarket stereo system AND add speakers on our own?
to answer your questions, yes..to an extent. you can definitely add speakers on your own as well as install an aftermarket system. however, the question is to what extent...mainly concerning the replacement of the stock head unit, which, at the moment, appears to be the only restriction to using a full aftermarket system, hu included. with the way mazda has worded it (as well as pointed it out), it seems to imply that there will be some sort of solution offered (either by mazda or a related source) in order to accomodate the possibility of a single or double din opening for an aftermarket hu. my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so, most likely would have to order an audio kit from Mazda, much like the 6?

·
Registered
984 Posts
dugrant153 said:
so, most likely would have to order an audio kit from Mazda, much like the 6?
Yeah. There is not a spot to remove the unit like in most vehicles for the aftermarket decks.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh okay.
cuz my plan was to get a Mazda GX trim with no conv. package, then add my own aftermarket stereo... and some bling bling chromie hubcaps! LOL just kidding ;)

but I'm serious about the aftermarket stereo and 2 more speakers.
I'm fine with a 40W x 4 speaker setup on my car :)

·
Registered
984 Posts
Speakers would be no problem if you want to stick with the factory audio deck.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
schulkw said:
Speakers would be no problem if you want to stick with the factory audio deck.
GX comes with a tape player :p
hehehe...

·
Registered
984 Posts
Why do they even offer cassette as an option? It's gone the way of 8tracks and records.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I was condiering it cause I have a tape player adapter for my portable CD player which I started to use with my laptop and my mp3 player. 12GB of music...

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and a tape player would discourage people from stealing the deck!

thief: "Wootz! Got a tape player!"
pawn: "...2 dollah!..."
thief 0wN3d!!! hehehehe

a tape player would be a good alternative, but one still needs to add 2 more speakers.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cds2060 said:
GX doesn't come with tape player.
It's AM/FM radio w/ clock and 2 speakers.
You serious?! No way :shock:

wow... maybe they are opting for someone to put a CD deck in there?

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
It doesn't come with cd deck? That sucks. The base 6 comes with a single cd.

And yeah, it's modular so you CAN'T easily replace the head unit.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
MZ6ZoomZoom said:
It doesn't come with cd deck? That sucks. The base 6 comes with a single cd.

And yeah, it's modular so you CAN'T easily replace the head unit.
Ive seen this style plug before.. and Ive concluded with an additional box that the headunit connects to. You could find the other box and the other side will be the standard Mazda radio plug. Ive already took apart the door to inspect what size and how much depth we got to work with. The plug looks nothing more than a standard speaker.

Also looks like the tweeter ties into the woofer as well (tweeter will always have a capacitor to kill the low end going to it) so that quickly says there is no problem hooking speakers up.

Main reason why there is a modular design is: plug and play. They can plug any accessory in (ie: nav output, mp3, tape deck) quickly.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I want a turntable in my Mazda3! That would be pimp!

·
Registered
3 Posts
intead of getting the tape player/cd adaptor which leaves a wire coming out of your deck you can use a radio transmiter and just tune your radio to a station and then you wont have that ugly tape player look in the beautiful console that the mazda already has.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts