Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2,757 Posts
Cheap but good: Hifonics, Infinity Reference or Kappa or Kicker.
For the money: CDT Audio, Classic Series
Baddest of all: Dynaudio or Rainbow Audio, Platinum Series

Boston, IMO, sucks ass. Ive installed them a few times and customer reactions is what I base that off of. I have almost never liked a Boston setup. If your going with components, dont let the expensive stuff trick you; same with low end crap...

Always get a setup that has soft Silk tweeters (for a more natural reproduction) and a woofer that doesnt have foam. Foam tends to wear fast, but they sound good for the first few months/years.

Oh btw, anytime I list a product, it is always backed up with first-hand experience with it. I never NEVER rave about a product if I never installed or heard it personally.

· Registered
2,757 Posts
Yeah, Ive done more than a dozen installs with Boston stuff and I just dont like how they sound.

Its just not sharp enough. A few of my customers had me remove them the day they went in for a different set of components.

Best idea is to listen to them before you buy them. Downfall to that is: your local stereo shops dont carry every brand. But I can definately stand by these companies:

CDT - high quality and affordable
Rainbow - very high end, kinda expensive
Infinity Kappa, 6.5" Reference Series - very good quality for the price
JL VR or XR - Would take the CDTs over them, but they are very good as well
Focal - Very expensive, high quality in the higher models
Diamond Audio - A little expensive, high quality
Dynaudio - The best of the best, no part is spared, all high quality
Soundstream - Good quality, good sound
Hifonics - Cheap, good quality, only company with a set of 6.5" components with 1" silk tweeters.

· Registered
2,757 Posts
MZ6ZoomZoom said:
In the end, it all comes down to wha tyou think sounds best.
Thats very true. Hence why I said go listen to them.

As for 5 1/4: I plan for 6.5".. I love midbass. And I dont have any experience with Blau other than decks (which are pretty nice btw). If you wanted more, I would upgrade to CDTs 6.5" Classic series. They are on clearance right now for $150 a set. They have been by far the best dan speaker for the money... even when they were $199 MSRP!

If you dont have the dough to change speakers, keep them and power them with a powerful amp. Deck power would make them sound worse than your stock speakers.

If you need help with "true" power amps, gimme a ring.

· Registered
2,757 Posts
schulkw said:
Can any of these aftermarket speakers go with the factory CD-player/changer from Mazda?

I have no clue about audio. Sorry.
Yes, but the factory audio system doesnt produce enough power to drive the speakers to their potential.

It is best to add an amplifier to the factory setup to gain more output.

· Registered
2,757 Posts
zaimon said:
Does the factory audio system contain pre-amp outputs for an amplifier? Or are amps with speaker level inputs the only option?
Amps with high level inputs or a line level convertor.

· Registered
2,757 Posts
Re: Best Speakers

VraiDiouf said:
Being an installer of Car Audio, I would have to say the best midranges to get are MBQuarts. These speakers have been proven to even outclass BOSE, Focal, Nakamichi, etc. They are the best quality. If you want Luxury car sound or better in your car, go for MBQuart. For Bass, and for nice treble sound.
Sorry, after installing numerous Q series from MB.. Im not the least impressed with the value factor. Yeah, they sounded awesome, dont get me wrong. Ive had many sets of MBs. Mainly because that was the best speaker our company carried. After I actually made more dough elsewhere, I found more and more speakers out that there where the value factor is much higher than MBs.

The other series in MB arent bad either. I like the PSDs, but they are pricey.

The baddest speaker set Ive ever heard, money not an issue, is Rainbow's ribbon concept speakers. Each driver was like $1200 a piece :shock:

For the money: I love CDT. But for the first time consumer or ones looking to upgrade, dont take our word and especially dont take mine. I dont listen to the same music as you and your ear is your best tool.

· Registered
2,757 Posts
Black7.. some of the best brands arent always in competition, so noone knows about them.

But I do admit, Focal makes some good shit. So does Image Dynamics, Rainbow, RE, MB, Elemental Designs, and Dynaudio. People tend to only know what their dealers carry, and not beyond that.

Of the names above, how many people actually have heard of all 6?

· Registered
2,757 Posts
Zoomin 3 said:
I have just started looking into speakers, and I have a few questions. I think I will install 6.5 component in the front and 6.5 coaxials in the back (waiting on vaboom's install pic of course first). I won't have the money to install an amp at the same time. Will this be difficult to do later (I have only installed HU's before)? Will it still sound better that the stock 5x7's with the little power that the stock HU provides? Should I consider not installing 2-ways in the back since I won't be looking int subs for some time?
Quick answer: No. The stock HU power makes a tad bit more than the stock speakers can handle. A good set of components will need at least 50w rms to even output anything good. Dont forget, not only do you have to power 2 speakers (mid and tweeter) you gotta power the crossover.
Best bet, would be to stick with the factory until you can afford an amp.

Only reason Im going coaxials in the rear are for slight rear fill. I rather not cut into the door panels... they look sleek the way they are. Id throw a decent set of coaxials in there, but nothing too fancy.

Sorry for the delays in installing my system. Im waiting on another set of speakers and the subwoofer to be made. Weather sucks ass too.

· Registered
2,757 Posts
I can definately vouch for Infinity Reference series. They are dirt cheap and can sound good with good clean amps. Another budget component is lower end Kicker series.

If you got $150, CDT cL61's are on sale @ www.thezeb.com. They kick ass and are cost effective.

· Registered
2,757 Posts
Stay away from Xplod... best to stay away from Sony entirely! They used to rock with the MobileES line, but now the Xplod shit is crap.

Audiobahn is ok. Kinda fear the brand cuz at the local swap meet here, you can buy it for dirt cheap. You get what you pay for.

· Registered
2,757 Posts
Dynaudio is GOD of car audio. Hell its god of home audio as well.

Listen to them and you will believe. A local shop here in Co did a test with all the highest end speakers you can buy. Hands down, the Rainbow set was the baddest, but also dents your pocket for $1200 for the woofers, $700 for the tweeter, and $1000 for the crossover (yep thats $3100 for the set...)

The Dynaudios came in 2nd.. costing only $750 for a set.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.