Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to figure out what a good high quality speaker is, ive had blaupunkt and infinity up untill now and I would like to upgrade, anyone have any suggestions for high end components? I was told that the boston acoustics stuff is good and that I should get the fs80 model from them but other opinions would be great! :) (oh and looking for quality and clairity over quantity)

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Cheap but good: Hifonics, Infinity Reference or Kappa or Kicker.
For the money: CDT Audio, Classic Series
Baddest of all: Dynaudio or Rainbow Audio, Platinum Series

Boston, IMO, sucks ass. Ive installed them a few times and customer reactions is what I base that off of. I have almost never liked a Boston setup. If your going with components, dont let the expensive stuff trick you; same with low end crap...

Always get a setup that has soft Silk tweeters (for a more natural reproduction) and a woofer that doesnt have foam. Foam tends to wear fast, but they sound good for the first few months/years.

Oh btw, anytime I list a product, it is always backed up with first-hand experience with it. I never NEVER rave about a product if I never installed or heard it personally.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hahahah yeah the boston acoustics actually kinda scare me just because they look no different then a stock speaker, and since i don't actually KNOW if/that they are good then it seems risky to buy them.

thanks tho ill check those out i don't think ive really seen any of those names around here, CDT posisbly

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Yeah, Ive done more than a dozen installs with Boston stuff and I just dont like how they sound.

Its just not sharp enough. A few of my customers had me remove them the day they went in for a different set of components.

Best idea is to listen to them before you buy them. Downfall to that is: your local stereo shops dont carry every brand. But I can definately stand by these companies:

CDT - high quality and affordable
Rainbow - very high end, kinda expensive
Infinity Kappa, 6.5" Reference Series - very good quality for the price
JL VR or XR - Would take the CDTs over them, but they are very good as well
Focal - Very expensive, high quality in the higher models
Diamond Audio - A little expensive, high quality
Dynaudio - The best of the best, no part is spared, all high quality
Soundstream - Good quality, good sound
Hifonics - Cheap, good quality, only company with a set of 6.5" components with 1" silk tweeters.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
do you think the boston acoustics would sound better then my blaupunkt overdrive component set and infinity kappa 5and 1/4? cause im trying to decide if I should just put the 5-1/4s in or if i should get these boston acoustics ones
....how about alpine type r' ? ive got a type R 12" sub right now...would that complement it nicely? or is alpine simply a name more then a quality speaker? and from what you saw how easy did it look to modify the loaction for a 6-1/2 instead of a 5X7?

thanks again for all the help and suggestions, been great.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
MZ6ZoomZoom said:
In the end, it all comes down to wha tyou think sounds best.
Thats very true. Hence why I said go listen to them.

As for 5 1/4: I plan for 6.5".. I love midbass. And I dont have any experience with Blau other than decks (which are pretty nice btw). If you wanted more, I would upgrade to CDTs 6.5" Classic series. They are on clearance right now for $150 a set. They have been by far the best dan speaker for the money... even when they were $199 MSRP!

If you dont have the dough to change speakers, keep them and power them with a powerful amp. Deck power would make them sound worse than your stock speakers.

If you need help with "true" power amps, gimme a ring.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alrighty thanks alot, looks like what ill be doing (for now anyway) is just putting in my amp and sub and sticking with the stock HU speakers etc....since i leave for school in january money is about to be really tight but my system plan will be to have 6.5" focal components in the front powered by a nice amp and leave the stock speakers in the back with only enough signal to provide a small amount of rear fill
thanks alot for your help though! been great :)

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
np

Another idea, which happens to be my idea hehe, is to use 6.5" longthrow woofers in the back doors.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Can any of these aftermarket speakers go with the factory CD-player/changer from Mazda?

I have no clue about audio. Sorry.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
schulkw said:
Can any of these aftermarket speakers go with the factory CD-player/changer from Mazda?

I have no clue about audio. Sorry.
Yes, but the factory audio system doesnt produce enough power to drive the speakers to their potential.

It is best to add an amplifier to the factory setup to gain more output.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Does the factory audio system contain pre-amp outputs for an amplifier? Or are amps with speaker level inputs the only option?

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
zaimon said:
Does the factory audio system contain pre-amp outputs for an amplifier? Or are amps with speaker level inputs the only option?
Amps with high level inputs or a line level convertor.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Focal - awsome to say the least! Need a big amp to run 'em
BTW, the Boston pro series are a nice set up. Their cheaper lines are where they fall flat

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I would personally take a Rainbow or Dynaudio set for the price.

But thats me i guess. Focal still makes some good poo.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Fuel90 said:
thats sweet man exactly what i wanted to hear....because this aft i bought some focal polyglass 5-1/4" components and a pheonix gold amp to run them so im looking forward to it!!
I was referring to the Utopia's or K2's but you will be happy with what you have - nice set up :D .
Personally, I have not heard anything on this planet that can compare to the Utopia's - but sound is a very personal thing and everyone's ear is different

1 - 20 of 39 Posts