Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what kind do you use or does it not matter. I am talking about washing the exterior of your car.

·
Registered
276 Posts
What brand or type you use is less important than making sure that you mix it in the right amounts (even though some are vague, 1oz per gallon is usually standard), and that you use SAFE wash materials and methods to prevent scratches or swirls. There is a good link in this thread: http://www.mazda3forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=5115 Brushes, sponges, and synthetic mitts are bad news.

I alternate between my favourite Zymol Auto Wash (the "cheap" blue one) and whatever else I have lying around, depending on the vehicle and its condition. Some of the more expensive brands/products tend to offer slightly better lubrication than the "cheap stuff" but I haven't run into a truly "bad" shampoo yet...

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
meguiar's
there is another one i use but i can't remember the name right now

soap matters, b/c it can't strip your wax. most of the car wash soaps won't strip wax though. dish soap will.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Heheh, good point! I just kind of assumed he meant a car soap.

Yes, just make sure you stick with a purpose-made car shampoo. They are designed to offer lubrication, enhance the gloss, and not strip wax. Household cleaners aren't.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Mostly Irish Spring or Lever 2000 but that's only before the weekend and on holidays. Otherwise water's enough :)

Oh, about the car???

I used to use (interesting word choice I know) dish soap (yes I know BAD BAD stuff) but lately I've been going to touchless carwashes since I have A LOT of Esso points :)

I guess I would buy some of those blue car wash liquids from Canadian Tire.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Meguiar's Gold Class works fine. It's about $7 for a big bottle that lasts a long time if you mix it right. However I'll use dish soap only when I'm going to wax it. Some manufacturers actually recommend this. It works well. But any soap made for the car should be fine. I'm not sure I trust that crap at carwashes though, who knows what it is :shock: . I only use it in desperation in the winter.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, I just washed my car today using Meguiar's Gold Class.

·
Registered
11 Posts
never use dishwater soap or laundry soap, these are very hard on the paint. Always use a specific car wash item , one of the best is one called Multi Wash sold by General Motors dealers,it lathers up quickly, leaves a nice shine. Also has a million uses around the house. You can buy it in 1 litre or 4 litre sizes, well worth the money. Only needs a tablespoon in a pail of water. Chamoise is also hard on the paint, it is better to use a towel. Hope it helps. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.