Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have about 70 miles on it right now but only 35 on this fresh tank of gas and the tank is 1/4 down, thats gonna be about 280 miles to this tank of gas which is around 10 mpg? either the dealer didn't top it off or im getting some horrible break in gas milage. on my GTI it was pretty bad but not this low, i started to get really great gas milage out of it after around 20,000 mi.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
it gets better as the engine breaks in. Also I noticed my dealer didn't full it all the way. When I filled up a few days later it pegs the neddle above the F. I think the computer said 325mi to empty

·
Registered
129 Posts
Right off the lot I got ~23ish
It is more like ~25 or 27 on a tank only commuting. About 20 when I am having some fun, and allot less when I can get to the track. My trip says ~6mpg when I am flogging it.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
The needle stays on full for me for the first 40-50 miles then it drops like a rock until it hits 3/4 of a tank, then it slows down again. I am getting 18-19mpg, but i am doing all short distance city driving, i think my average speed is 25mph. On the highway i get about 25 mpg.

·
Registered
129 Posts
[quote author=dread link=topic=69609.msg1210665#msg1210665 date=1171584330]
The needle stays on full for me for the first 40-50 miles then it drops like a rock until it hits 3/4 of a tank, then it slows down again. I am getting 18-19mpg, but i am doing all short distance city driving, i think my average speed is 25mph. On the highway i get about 25 mpg.
[/quote]

The rate at which the needle initially drops is due to the way the sender is designed. Think of a toilet float (good analogy eh?) When the tank is full the float is resting against the top of the tank, as the fuel level drops the float is still touching the top of the tank. It is not until the fuel drops enough that the float reaches a point at which it's buoyancy does not top out its travel; that is when your needle starts to move.

Forgive me if you already know this. I do however hope that I help someone.

·
Registered
948 Posts
the tank is 14.5 gallons. the light comes on around 12 gals. So if you get 280 from a tank, youve ususally used around 12-13 gals thats much better than 10 mpg. Just some food for thougt.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The best ive had is 62 MPG.....ooops i own a mazda 2 diesel! The way i see it is this, the more you spend on fuel the more tax you pay the goverment! I dont know why you lot complain about fuel prices in the USA, its dirt cheap, here in the uk you would be paying around $8 a gallon so quite bitching!

·
Registered
28 Posts
[quote author=surreypuma link=topic=69609.msg1211465#msg1211465 date=1171628400]
The best ive had is 62 MPG.....ooops i own a mazda 2 diesel! The way i see it is this, the more you spend on fuel the more tax you pay the goverment! I dont know why you lot complain about fuel prices in the USA, its dirt cheap, here in the uk you would be paying around $8 a gallon so quite bitching!
[/quote]

The UK gallon is larger than the US gallon so it would actualy be around $5 a gallon. Even at your 62mpg you are probably paying more tax to the government than the US people with their 26mpg. Besides people are allowed to complain if they feel the price of something is too high, but the only person I see bitching is you.

and I am seeing 26 mpg when I do get the chance to drive my car.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
[quote author=surreypuma link=topic=69609.msg1211465#msg1211465 date=1171628400]
[/quote]

that is due to the fact that the uk pretty much imports every ounce they use. Both canada and the Us are actually major oil producers and we had zilch dependance on outside oil until the 90s really.
if you think you pay too much....save your quid and ride the underground!

·
Registered
28 Posts
[quote author=surreypuma link=topic=69609.msg1211676#msg1211676 date=1171638714]
I was almost right!

http://www.usa-vs-uk.com/petrol.html

So eat my shorts sucker
[/quote]

You were right about what? That websites information doesn't seem to be pretty accurate. I have travelled to quite a few of the states over here and I have to admit I haven't been to all of them but I can pretty much say for sure that no state has 95 octane regular gas. Regular is normally 87 or a little higher with super at only 91 sometimes 93. As they say you can't believe everything you read on the internet. Even if their facts were right you have to take many fluctuating factors into account which means the answer can be constantly changing.

But here is pretty much the current price.
Avg price per litre of petrol in post code W3; 87.6p multiplied by the current exchange rate courtesy of Nat West Bank; 1.86 US dollars to the pound then finally multiplied by litres to a US gallon 3.785.
So that is 0.876 x 1.86 x 3.785 = $6.16 for 1 US gallon

There is one thing I am right about, you are the only person bitching.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
this thread is pointless.
semi bitching about milage when you havent even driven a tank of fuel yet. Im sure as habbits form, as you figure out the sweet spot RPM to cruise at and the engine breaks in a bit, milage will change.
regardless, you are not getting 10mpg, to assume you are shows a need to do a tad more homework first.
sorry to be brash, but im getting tired of the members here posting negative comments about non issues.

·
Registered
108 Posts
[quote author=IlikeGUNS link=topic=69609.msg1210400#msg1210400 date=1171578212]
about 280 miles to this tank of gas which is around 10 mpg?
[/quote]

:huh

Did you get the extra large tank option?

280 miles at 10 mpg requires 28 gallons.

I dare you to fit 28 gallons in the tank.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Sorry to put this on you but North Sea oil is probably the purest oil you can get, in fact its so good we export to countries like yours for top dollar!!

·
Registered
610 Posts
I've only managed to put 33 miles on my MS3 so far because of the crappy weather. I need some all-weather or snow tires. The car sure is fun to drive, though!

·
Registered
388 Posts
I ran a test on my last tank:

Short shifted at around 2.5 k and got her to 6th ASAP.
I know, I know, than why drive the car at all?

Well I wanted to get a gauge on how much MPG I give up by
driving her the way she (I) likes, so I needed a baseline.

On my last car (2000 protege ES) I gained around 3 MPG
by changing my driving style, so I was really curious as to
what this car would do. Well, to my surprise, I only got 1 MPG
more out of 220 miles of pure frustration.

on top of that the mileage computer was showing a 2.5 MPG
optimism as opposed to the usual 2 MPG difference.

granted this was only one tank, but I don't have the patience
to do another one. Maybe later, as for now... ZOOM ZOOM!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts