Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering which direction ( circular, front to back, side to side) is the best way to wax a car to avoid swirl marks that I see occassionally on detailed cars? I heard you shouldn't do circular motions because it will cause swirl marks like a buffer does. When I get my MZ3, it will be the first time I will wax a car ( maybe I will wax my Contour before I trade it in so it looks better to the dealer :)). I don't want to make the car look worse than if I hadn't waxed it at all. All suggestions are appreciated! :D

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
i think its waxing the length of the car err the same way the paint goes or osmethign like that haha....< > that way? iono i think there was a thread here that directed u to the acura tsx forums and it had a complete tutorial on how to detail your car....

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does the paint go from front to back?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
oh and how long before you should wax your car after u just bought it? my dad said u dont really need to for a lil whle becuz the dealer just put some wax on...?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I certainly wouldn't rely on the Dealer putting anything on your car. I've also heard that modern car finishes do NOT require the "curing" period of a month or so before you wax them.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
SO, clarify for me a little. NO circular motion on that waxing? Do you put the wax on and take it off making back and forth motions on the paint? Slightly confused, nothing major, just want to put a purdy shine to the blue this weekend.

Hasta group :p

·
Registered
420 Posts
ATL said:
Thats correct. Always go the direction of the paint. That helps keep the swirls down.
Ummmm......paint on a car has NO direction. They are run through a paint booth where robots "mist" it on with spray guns/nozzles. Now, paint on the walls in your house is a different story. But you guys probably know this already, right?

The paint is cured before it leaves the factory, so wax away!

·
Registered
191 Posts
there is some wax when it leaves the factory but not the good stuff. Most people just think wax just makes the car look good, but it also protects from moisture and dirt on the car's surface. Waxing is one of the easiest way to take care of your car paint

·
Registered
420 Posts
BeastieBen said:
there is some wax when it leaves the factory but not the good stuff. Most people just think wax just makes the car look good, but it also protects from moisture and dirt on the car's surface. Waxing is one of the easiest way to take care of your car paint
Used to work at the Nissan plant in Smyrna, TN, and I never saw anyone or anything putting wax on the cars/trucks. Other than that, couldn't agree more. :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
From Zaino's website for the application of the wax. This is for best optical clarity according to them.

"Squirt a dime size dab of polish on your applicator and rub it into your paint using circular hand motions. Then, go over the same area using a straight back and forth motion on top panels and an up and down motion on side panels. Allow the polish to haze for 20 to 30 minutes."

·
Registered
219 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the paint curing, unless your 3 was sent by Fed-Ex :D . Think about how long it sat at the factory, on the ship, on the train or truck...don't worry about it :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts