Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we have amb temp gage somewhere in the bumper, i assume. it shows outside temp. i was thinking, how hard would it be to put it somewhere in the engine bay, to give that reading? maybe around intercooler, or intake?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Probably not so hard if you simply cut off the connector, and just splice in some wiring. However, an easier idea would be to get a wirelss therometer?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i am wondering what kind of temperatures the snesor is capable of detecting? i've seen 110F in the sun in the summer, but i'm sure in the bay it gets more than that

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
not sure, but i bet it's able to get up to 130-150F without a problem. shiet, that kind of thing is really fuckin cheap to make, btw. the sensor itself is located on the bottom inside of the bumper toward the middle. as soon as you unclasp if from that location, you can actually get it stretched out a decent way into the engine bay (as long as you're stay toward the bottom middle of the bay).

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well dashhwak is over 100$ and then it's just hanging around interior... i don't like too much stuff in interior. how cool would it be if you press AMB button, and it'd tell you the intercooler temp. i'm more interested in that temp than air sucked in, cause that's what heatsoaks. on the other hand, intercooler get's way hotter than 150f, if it's heatsoaking. would it melt the sensor? do you know what the sensor made out of?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Actually your IAT's are more important than underhood-ambient temperature. Heat soak really shouldn't be a huge issue so long as you are not under extended periods of boost (20+ seconds) or sitting still. As long as your intercooler is properly cooling the incoming air, underhood temperature will not alter your IAT all that much. If you are curious, you can pick up a cheap infrared temp. gun and just check it at certain situations...once you have an idea of what temp. fits what situation, there won't be much difference in the future unless you make a change (vented hood, etc.).

·
Registered
248 Posts
I don't think putting a temp sensor ontop of the IC will be a problem. After all, there's the IC shroud and that doesn't melt.

·
Registered
906 Posts
[quote author=sleserginekolog link=topic=134208.msg2886136#msg2886136 date=1232745869]
well dashhwak is over 100$ and then it's just hanging around interior... i don't like too much stuff in interior. how cool would it be if you press AMB button, and it'd tell you the intercooler temp. i'm more interested in that temp than air sucked in, cause that's what heatsoaks. on the other hand, intercooler get's way hotter than 150f, if it's heatsoaking. would it melt the sensor? do you know what the sensor made out of?
[/quote]

The DH also tells you boost temp. The Ambient sensor will tell you engine bay temp, but what good is that when the only things that really matter are intake and boost temps??

·
Registered
93 Posts
I agree, Buy a Dashhawk, Intake air temp, and Boost Temp will refresh every .07 of a second.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
[quote author=boostin link=topic=134208.msg2886513#msg2886513 date=1232756403]
I agree, Buy a Dashhawk, Intake air temp, and Boost Temp will refresh every .07 of a second.
[/quote]

At what point is the boost temp? Post turbo & pre intercooler? or post intercooler? Also the IAT, do that come from the MAF sensor or where?

I just got my DH and set it up to show Ambient, IAT, boost temp and coolant, so just trying to figure out exactly where the sensors read from.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Intake temp comes from the MAF sensor. Boost temp comes from the Map sensor mounted on the intake manifold (so post intercooler).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts