Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was it a specific car or a friend or......?

I don't own a Mazda...yet but am seriously considering leasing a Mazda 3 GT for my next car.

I got interested in Mazdas a few years ago when I visited my uncle in Phoenix.He has a 99 Miata and lent it to me so I could zoom around the city. It was great fun---race car like handling and awesome manual transmssion--the engine wasn't great but good enough most of the time.

Since then I have driven Proteges (good but low on hp) and the new Mazda 6. Which hands down is the best looking mid-sized ouit there.
I drove both the manual and the AT. They handle great and the 5 speed V6 was very entertaining. All in all, I was very impressed with the with execution of the car and its sporty character. Zoom -zoom indeed :D

If the 3 is anyting like the 6, it looks to be a winner. I haven't had a manual trans for years and desperately want one. After all if you don't have fun driving, what's the point??

·
Registered
310 Posts
My brother got a Protegé which is now mine, and I started looking into Mazdas when I got the Mazda6 Insider last fall.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
What got me into a mazda? Well, I've driven 3: a 626, a protege, and my 6. Oh, and now we have a P5 too. My dad bought the 626 when I was 10, when I was 17, he bought a new car, and thus the 626 became mine! It was a wonderful car.
Then, I got my Protege in my 2nd year of college, and my sister got the 626. Then I got married, and my parents sold the Protege, and 2 years later my sister got a newer car, and I got the 626 back! 9 months later, I traded it in for my 6, and have never regretted it. :) 8) But I do miss my 626 (it was a MTX). :cry:

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
csweeney said:
What got me into a mazda? Well, I've driven 3: a 626, a protege, and my 6. Oh, and now we have a P5 too. My dad bought the 626 when I was 10, when I was 17, he bought a new car, and thus the 626 became mine! It was a wonderful car.
Then, I got my Protege in my 2nd year of college, and my sister got the 626. Then I got married, and my parents sold the Protege, and 2 years later my sister got a newer car, and I got the 626 back! 9 months later, I traded it in for my 6, and have never regretted it. :) 8) But I do miss my 626 (it was a MTX). :cry:
Whoa, Mazda fo life.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
Hah! yeah! The only other brands I've driven: Ford Aerostar (damn minivan), Hyundai Elantra

·
Registered
93 Posts
I never was into researching cars, since I couldn't afford one, until last year, and that's when I met the 6, and I started to see if I could afford one, which I couldn't (not the 6s anyway) so I looked at the P5, about that time I discovered that they were releasing the 3, so I started the long waiting process which is comming to a close soon when I buy my 3 :)

I've driven fords all my life, my current car is a '97 Mustang, which I bought last year, before that, I had a '91 Probe, I don't care what people think, I've loved my Fords

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
My mom gave me homework: buy a new car that has AT, A/C, power windows, 4 doors under $25000 CAD out the door - could be anything. So I went looking and checked the usual suspects (Civic, Sentra, Cavalier, Elantra, etc) but not Mazda.

And one day I was driving by and saw a Mazda dealer. Stopepd by, saw the PRO ES and thought it looks good. Sat inside and was amazed at the quality of it and its sporty feel. Got a test drive and was impressed with the steering (weight and feel), brakes (great!), acceleration (good torque curve), flat cornering (zoom-zoom - HUGE smile on my face!).

We ordered one a few days later and picked it up in July 2001. It's been GREAT so far and it has made me a Mazda fan for life!

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Ah, I see you're learning quickly Absinthe! I'm proud of you - nothing makes GrandMastaMazda3UsefulPosta more happy than an organized forum :)

·
Registered
984 Posts
My dad got a job across the state so he had to take his car and that only left my mom with one car. I had school, a job, and cross country, so one day this guy stopped by where my dad worked (before he moved) and he had a '89 323 he was selling (the guy owned a used car lot). My dad drove it home for me to test out (it was a 5sp so I couldn't), but it was gold and really nice. So we took to my neighbor who was also owned a used car lot. He had a '89 323 in gray with auto, it just had more miles, but it was a one owner. So we bought it right there on the spot. I loved it! Until the biatch hit me in the parking lot and totaled it.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
the Mz3

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
avro206 said:
seriously considering leasing a Mazda 3 GT for my next car
The lease payment will probably cost you $20 or so less than financing the car. Mazdas are HORRIBLE to lease, so buy it.

Welcome BTW! :) Another Ontarian.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
The MZ6... I'm a chrysler guy, really... but I wanted 4 doors and the 4dr Stratus just wasn't as nice (I was gonna get a 2dr Stratus RT)

·
Registered
396 Posts
i had never really considered mazdas before. my cousing bought a 6 in the summer, and it was really nice. i read in a newspaper about how the mazda3 is getting such good praise. i checked it out on the website, and to my surprise: it was affordable!

i never thought i'd be able to afford anything close to the 6. thank god the mazda3 came out this month.....imagine, i could have had a civic instead

·
Registered
177 Posts
My first encounter with Mazda was when I was driving my ex's family 626 on a bbq trip. Then 2 yrs ago our family got an P5 which was simply fun to drive and handle really well but kind of lacked some power. Then this year I was about to get the Acura RSX but I changed my decision cuz of the expensive insurance rate for that car and lucky for me the 3 is released and I get an awesome car just like the RSX.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
My parents bought a 2000 Mazda MPV.
While looking for cars, I found the Protege 5, which had a great suspension (something I was looking for)... and then I stumbled upon news of the Mazda 3 ...

I'm not a TRUE Mazda fan yet... my allegiance is split a few ways... but I do like their cars now ;)

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Well I'm still a honda fan but lately honda has pissed me off with the Fugly body styles. The employee discount I get when I buy a Mazda and I wanted something bigger and differnet than a Civic. A car with real power, A eye catcher, and affordable.

·
Registered
154 Posts
ATL, Arent you UAW! They must be laid back down there, you cant even drive a honda to the Union halls up here, and it better be an ancient beater or a motorcycle if you park it in the lot at one of the plants. Hell I left my Flat Rock sticker on the car just in case I ever have to go pick up my dad at work or something...dont want the baseball bat mod done just yet
Anyway: I needed a back seat/4 doors, didnt want a Taurus...gonna buy the wife an SUV and drive her Focus but she really didnt want a new car, along comes the 6...just what I was looking for=practical fun, and keeps me from crying when I think about selling the bike. Saved some coin not buying a damn truck again ;) plus the Ford discount still sorta applies, yippie. So I'm a Ford guy loyal to mazda by default

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Nope you can't drive a honda or any jap car. Mazda would be the only one tho. When I had my civic, I would have dip spit or drinks poured on it. My mirrors would be pushed back. Buy American stickers on my $hit. :evil:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts