Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an automatic. From the events that I've been to, when I start, in Manual mode, I quickly shift from 1st to 2nd gear and leave it at 2nd for the whole course. I haven't reallly had the chance to look down to see what rpms I'm actually running my car at. What gears do you guys use for auto-x, espcially those with automatics?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Just leave it in second. If the revs get low enough the tranny will go back to first for you. Most autocrosses are second gear affairs.

·
Registered
98 Posts
2nd for me as well, Ive only had to go into 3rd once or twice, but that was on larger courses. I dont believe ive dipped back into 1st. Normally you should be cornering fast enough to maintain 2nd gear speeds

·
Registered
141 Posts
2nd gear here... I want to say for about 95% of time I've autocrossed. I can only remember only one event where we had hairpins where I have downshifted into 1st on the exit... I don't think I've ever needed to use 3rd in any of the autocrosses I've participated in.

·
Registered
259 Posts
^haha, same boat. except that i've never autocrossed. I've played around with the manual on the street but find myself looking at the tach way too much to be safe. nice to see some atx autocrossing though, makes me want to give it a spin.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
2nd gear. Most of the time I just leave it in automatic mode for the starts and pop it into manual mode pretty soon after it shifts into second itself, and hold the gear for the rest of the course.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts