Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 2.0 engine. I'm at about 2600 miles now and I still haven't bought any fluids to keep with my car (coolant, power steering fluid, etc.). I should probably buy some, but I don't want to end up getting the wrong stuff, and I figured there's no better place to ask. :)

What brands/types of fluids do you guys recommend? I don't know if all of these are applicable and I'm too lazy to check my owners manual (smack me, I know), but: coolant/antifreeze, power steering fluid, brake fluid, and whatever else. I can't imagine windshield washer fluid is a complicated decision, but I can throw that in there too. If there's anything I should know about any of these, or if anybody has suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it. :)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I will point out right up front having a gallon of antifreeze in the trunk did save my bacon one time so I certainly won't say you don't need or should not carry extra fluids. Of all the fluids you list windshield washer fluid is the most important to carry. All the others are nice to have for peace of mind but on a new car you shouldn't need to worry about non-consumable fluids. But peace of mind is a damn fine thing and I suppose carrying extra fluids is a cheap way to get it. And shit happens.

Anyhoo, P/S fluid is Dexron III ATF, brake fluid is DOT3, coolant is probably FL22 - there will be a sticker on the coolant reservoir next to the cap if so. I know what brands I prefer but I don't believe it matters. If you like and trust a particular brand then carry that - this will maximise the peace of mind dividend.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah, I need to know about transmission fluid too, since my car's an AT.

And thank you for the advice.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I don't have an auto so I am not 100% sure what ATF is right. Mazda specs something called M-V or suchlike. There is speculation this is Mercon V, and it may even say Mercon V right on the dipstick. If this is true then you can just get one of the multi-vehicle ATFs offered by Petro-Canada, Castrol, Mobil and presumably others. These fluids are compatible with Dexron III and Mercon V (and numerous other ATFs) so you will only need to carry one bottle to cover both P/S and ATF.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does anybody else have any advice here? I've read here and there about some stuff regarding "Dexcool" or something. I don't know. I guess I'll figure this stuff out on my own, no big deal, but just checking to see if there's any specific recommendations for our car.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Get Mazda brand FL-22 coolant. Made by Motorcraft. You may use Peak Global-Lifetime as a substitute.

Get Mazda M-V ATX fluid and use for Power Steering and Automatic Transmissions. You may substitute Mobil 1 ATX synthetic which states on the bottle that it can be used for Mazda M5 applications.

Get Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5-20 if you want the factory motor oil. Or pay extra for a full synthetic such as the new offering by Valvoline, Penzoil platinum, Castrol Syntec, or Mobil 1. etc.. I just get 5qt jugs at wal-mart.

Brake Fluid, Mazda has their own Dot3, but you can get any major brand.

I attached pictures of the fluids Mazda sells at their parts desk if you wanted the Factory recommended products.

As for windshield washing Fluid... Get whatever is on sale. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
332 Posts
im planning on changing my coolant this weekend using peak and changing my trans fluid soon to amsoil which i will use for the power steering as well. a little pricey but worth it to me

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[quote author=HouRman link=topic=139534.msg3021988#msg3021988 date=1238189837]
Get Mazda brand FL-22 coolant. Made by Motorcraft. You may use Peak Global-Lifetime as a substitute.

Get Mazda M-V ATX fluid and use for Power Steering and Automatic Transmissions. You may substitute Mercon V, or a fluid like Mobil 1 ATX synthetic which states on the bottle that it can be used for Mercon V applications.

Brake Fluid, Mazda has their own Dot3, but you can get any major brand.

I attached pictures of the fluids Mazda sells at their parts desk if you wanted the Factory recommended products.

As for windshield washing Fluid... Get whatever is on sale. :)
[/quote]

Thank you! These are exactly the type of answers I was looking for. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond and help me out. Thanks to d-machine too.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
sorry that my answer wasnt as detailed, but im at work alot when i respond so my answers have to be short.. otherwise ill get bitched at for being on here lol

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For anybody keeping count, I bought Mazda brand coolant, and Rain-X windshield wash (was on sale at Walmart).

·
Registered
38,019 Posts
[quote author=wangjsoo link=topic=139534.msg3165365#msg3165365 date=1244345240]
By the way, how many quarts/bottles do we need of mercon v atx fluid and dot3 brake fluid when changing both fluids?
[/quote]

3 qts of mercon, don't know about brake fluid yet.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
[quote author=Alec Trevelyan link=topic=139534.msg3220537#msg3220537 date=1247247260]
[quote author=wangjsoo link=topic=139534.msg3165365#msg3165365 date=1244345240]
By the way, how many quarts/bottles do we need of mercon v atx fluid and dot3 brake fluid when changing both fluids?
[/quote]

3 qts of mercon, don't know about brake fluid yet.
[/quote]

To clarify, if you simply drain the fluid out of the transmission pan and refill it, you need 3 quarts of ATX fluid. To perform a full flush of the transmission fluid (see the how-to stickied at the top of this forum), you need 9 quarts.

Also, Mobil 1 ATF is now listed as being directly compatible with Mazda M-V (which is similar, but not identical, to Mercon V) so you don't have to buy Mazda-branded ATF if you're worried about using proper M-V fluid.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
[quote author=ramza21 link=topic=139534.msg3227211#msg3227211 date=1247587144]
When flushing Transmission fluid, is it just for automatics or do you have to change it in manuals to?
[/quote]

You need to periodically change the fluid in the MTX too, but it's not a "flush" like with the ATX. The MTX requires only about 3 quarts of fluid IIRC, and a drain and fill replaces pretty much all of it. It's as easy as changing the engine oil.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
[quote author=DrWebster link=topic=139534.msg3227429#msg3227429 date=1247593686]It's as easy as changing the engine oil.
[/quote]

Maybe easier - no filter to change.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
[quote author=HouRman link=topic=139534.msg3021988#msg3021988 date=1238189837]
Get Mazda M-V ATX fluid and use for Power Steering and Automatic Transmissions. You may substitute Mercon V, or a fluid like Mobil 1 ATX synthetic which states on the bottle that it can be used for Mercon V applications.
[/quote]

Didn't Mazda issue a TSB stating that Mercon-V and M-V were in fact not the same thing and not to substitute?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts