Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Rice is when you do mods to your car that basically do not improve your performance, its for the "looks" so to speak...

Examples of rice are : neons, stickers, fart can exhaust, decals etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.... LOLZ

Get the picture now?

·
Registered
137 Posts
rice doesn't mean nice. it's a word people use to make fun of cars. fixing up cheap cars with body kits, etc. originated in japan. then it came to the states among mainly the asian population. then everyone else started doing it and now it's really played out. so now when you see cheap cars that are fixed up, or even expensive cars that are over-modified, you say rice, a word that refers to asians.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Billy said:
Seen people here say rice or nice, but what do you actually mean? Sorry to sound dim :oops:
rice - noun.
1. A cereal grass (Oryza sativa) that is cultivated extensively in warm climates for its edible grain.
2. The starchy grain of this plant, used as a staple food throughout the world.

Oh, you meant as refering to cars? Heh.

Rice or Nice in those terms, refers to any appearance modifications done to your car. If the modification is tasteful (taste varies from person to person) then it is "nice". If the modification is tacky, tasteless, completely pointless, etc. (again, opinions vary) then it's "rice".

A "rice" car used to refer to Japanese import cars, but with the fad having spread greatly through the USA, domestic cars have been "riced" also. It is not uncommon to see a Focus or a Mustang having gone under a "ricing" treatment. Even German imports aren't immune and there are a fair share of VW Golfs or BMW's that have gone through the embaressing "rice" process.

A person who is classified as a "ricer" (one who rices their car) modifies their car for the desire to be unique and/or seemingly fast. They wish to make their car "faster" than the stock model, but in reality, these poor misguided souls don't have a clue. They usually add things to their car that don't increase the performance at all. In fact, most of their modifications decrease their performance.

Common "rice" applications are as follows:

1. Gaudy or tacky paint schemes on their car. Anything that is not usually found attractive on a car (bright purples, pinks, baby blues, etc.) They belief that different colors do make them stand out for their benefit, when IMHO, rather makes them look silly and easier for cops to spot. Sometimes, I swear, if their cars were ovoid (oval) in shape, I'd think they'd be driving a very well decorated easter egg.

2. Shiny chrome trim and/or wheels. Ricers seem to have some sort of common bond in that they all want their car to be noticed so they make sure the visuals on the car are as "bright" as possible and shiny reflective bits will either blind you when you look at them or make you wonder if you just saw a 4-wheeled UFO on the road.

3. Excessive extra lighting. This can consist of neon undercarriage lights or interior illumnation. LED lights in the windshield sprayers or valve caps or other places. An extra pair of fog lights (or two or three) are not unheard of. You can probably blame the extra fog lights on rally racer wanna-be's as some real rally cars have an extra array of 4 spot lights on the front. I think that they use the lights as some sort of colorful plummage, like on birds, to denote their "riceness" amongst each other.

4. Ridiculous body kits. Ricers believe that their "aero-dynamic" body kits help their car perform. In reality, a lot of them look ridiculous and don't help the car perform any better than stock. They also buy body kits to make their car look "cool" (which is subjective). IMHO, the aftermarket body kits just add more weight to the car, decreasing performance.

5. Ridiculous spoiler. This is in it's separate category as a true ricer can't get away without eventually placing a large rear wing spoiler on their car. They have this desire because real race cars (usually RWD or rear wheel driven) traveling at 100+mph speeds need them to keep their back wheels down on the ground, to retain traction. Ricers do it to make their car look cool, but actually serve no real function but to add overall weight to their car. A poor choice of a spoiler can also reduce your rear view. FWD ricers are the most silly at this because it serves them no benefit. RWD and AWD car owners do gain some benefit, but in reality, if they are travelling 100+mph on the street, they'd better be worrying about something else besides their back tires losing traction.
ricer said:
Uh...no officer...I didn't see you back there when I was...how fast did you say I was going??
6. Loud Exhaust, engine, stereo. First the Exhaust and Engine. Real race cars run obnoxiously loud and the ricer desires this same effect. They usually swap out their stock exhaust for some large "fart-can" exhaust (sounds like the car has a continual bad flatuance problem) to gain part of this loud effect. I've known ricers to also remove their stock air filters to make more "noise" which is actually worse because all sorts of small debris can now enter their engine's cylinders and wear it away more quickly over time. And I've also known plenty of ricers to install valuable stereo equipment. What's funny is when a ricer spends more money in stereo equipment than he/she spent on the car!! A loud, obnoxious stereo is part of the plan of the ricer to achieve their "coolness".

7. Oversized or undersized wheels. A lot of ricers probably have seen too many go kart races or 1000+hp monster drag cars and they desire the same, mismatching wheels. They think this makes their car look cool, but IMHO, it is rather silly. You completely ruin the balance of the car if you go too small or too big of a wheel size that was meant for the car.

8. Vinyl. Again, blame this on sponsered race cars. Ricers think that they can make their car look faster and more racey with vinyl decorations. These can either be graphics (flames, tribal designs, etc.) and/or product names of car parts. A lot of ricers have been known to get carried away and plaster their cars with these. In reality, no one gives a sh*t about wether the car actually has Brembo brakes, or an AEM intake. Some vinyls also state the bleeding obvious or are poor attempts to make other people notice the car. Again, I denote this vinyl slapping behavior to a bird's plummage.

9. Imitation parts. The very few ricers have been known to install fake intercooler frames or fake turbo valve whistles. They want people to think they are cool for having a fast looking and sounding car. Hence, why they buy fake parts that serve no purpose other than appearance or sound.

10. Ricers are also known to be cheap or burn their money on decisions. In other words, poor business men/women. It's not too uncommon for a ricer to drive their car with unpainted body panels, bondo holding a dent together, or duct tape used to repair a damaged body part. It's also not too uncommon to find that the ricer wanted to lower their own car by cutting the stock springs, to only increase the toe angle of their wheels, making the car handle worse than stock. It also isn't too uncommon to find that some ricers spend ridiculous amounts of money to supposedly "improve" the performance on a old beater of a car when all they really did was re-skin the car and maybe added some sound effects. The money they spent on the car could have easily gone into purchasing a new and better car that could actually perform.

Anyway, I hope that helps you out. There are many more things that ricers do. If you do a search on "Your car may be rice if" then you'll find my other posts regarding ricers and riced cars.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Basic Definition:

If you add something to your car to try to make it look faster without actually improving performance - you just might be a ricer.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I originally used the term to define crotch rockets,"jap" bikes. They were referred to as rice burners. But in terms of cars, yes, the previous definitions and explainations will apply.

Craig

·
Registered
743 Posts
hahahahaha.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts