Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
9,374 Posts
what whp are you at now? you're not going to do it without slicks. that's a must. i'd get a set of skinnies too. the less weight you're dragging, the better. if you dont have springs, get some. the less squating your car does, the less weight transfer and the more power you can keep on the front wheels. an lsd will make a difference in a low 13 and a high 12.

the only other thing is skill. don't expect to run an outstanding time the first time out. launching and shifting makes a huge difference between 2 drivers. if you can get a >2.0s 60', you'll be well on your way to a quick time.

· Registered
9,374 Posts
you aren't going to hit it with street tires. trust me. street tires don't hook up on a prepped track. you'll be lucky to get a 2.25s 60'.

take whatever you think you know about racing on a dragstrip and throw it out the window. don't be suprised if you DO run a 14s pass the first couple of times especially with street tires.

don't forget to deflate the tires to around 22-25psi. running on street pressure is going to do nothing but wheel hop.

i wish i could be there for your first run. the look on your face will be classic!!

· Registered
9,374 Posts
[quote author=LT1 link=topic=74895.msg1341416#msg1341416 date=1176760973]
mean the same power in a lighter fwd car should go the same times. [/quote]
that's not entirely accurate.

[quote author=LT1 link=topic=74895.msg1341416#msg1341416 date=1176760973]
Granted, FWD has no place at a drag strip, 12's should be pretty easy with >285whp.
[/quote]
rrrrrright. don't be a jackass. and hitting 12s in anything that runs 15's stock is easier said than done.

· Registered
9,374 Posts
[quote author=LT1 link=topic=74895.msg1341463#msg1341463 date=1176761791]
if people are so hellbent on running quick times at a dragstrip why use fwd? It does not belong in a dragstrip, plain and simple. Yea, it's a fun challenge trying to make a little 4 cylinder car run quick, but it's ignorance to deny the fact that if you really just want to go FAST you would build a light rwd car with a good suspension setup. I didn't say i don't support running fwd cars at the track, i said they really have no place there. I'm not the one being the jackass here, bud. and as far as a lighter car going the same time with the same power, that sure as hell better be accurate. If you can't get a 3100lb car with 285whp to run high 12's... SOMEBODY can, plain and simple.
[/quote]

im ignorant? i guess according to you 12s in a rwd is faster than 12s in a fwd. what fucking kind of bullshit is that. have you ever taken physics? last time i checked, d=r*t. where is the variable for fwd, rwd, awd???

you're passing off your severly misguided opinion as fact.

if rwd was the end all be all, why are you driving a 3?

fix your sig before i call the sig police and get one thing straight. im not your fucking buddy!

· Registered
9,374 Posts
wow...yeah that turbo is definately spooling way too fast.

· Registered
9,374 Posts
my friends turbo focus had a 1.8s 60'.

· Registered
9,374 Posts
how can you tell that from the picture? haha. they both ran full interior.

· Registered
9,374 Posts
not to nitpick but

1. their stock wheels are 15" so those drag wheels aren't too much lighter
2. the black one has stock rsx seats so not much difference in weight. the green one has stock seats
3. the black one doesn't have a cf hood. that's the reflection of a cloud.

· Registered
9,374 Posts
i broke my rear motor mount on a 1-2 shift last june. what sucks is that my awr rear motor mount was in my mailbox but i went to the track right after work.

· Registered
9,374 Posts
[quote author=AzMz3 link=topic=74895.msg1345705#msg1345705 date=1176874502]
Just stay away from wheel hop and you should be good.
[/quote]

that was my problem. i either bogged or had a ton of wheel hop.

valuable lesson learned and fortunately an inexpensive fix.

· Registered
9,374 Posts
you're probably riding the clutch a lot longer.

i get mad wheel hop even with the awr mount.

· Registered
9,374 Posts
shit man...i hope you dont go to the track very often. your clutch probably hates you. lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.