Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
137 Posts
if people are so hellbent on running quick times at a dragstrip why use fwd? It does not belong in a dragstrip, plain and simple. Yea, it's a fun challenge trying to make a little 4 cylinder car run quick, but it's ignorance to deny the fact that if you really just want to go FAST you would build a light rwd car with a good suspension setup. I didn't say i don't support running fwd cars at the track, i said they really have no place there. I'm not the one being the jackass here, bud. and as far as a lighter car going the same time with the same power, that sure as hell better be accurate. If you can't get a 3100lb car with 285whp to run high 12's... SOMEBODY can, plain and simple.

· Registered
137 Posts
maybe i did go a little overboard by saying they have no place, but very rarely do i see one that does well. I honestly feel like they should have separate days for fwd and rwd. Nothing is worse than doing a burnout on a set of $400 slicks only to find out you rolled through water that the rear tires of a fwd car tracked in front of you. I understand most people buy the car at first because it's a nice car, then they do an intake, then exhaust, and you always want more until you end up where you are at, shooting for 10's. I respect that entirely. What i don't understand is the people that have 20k(or more, or less, just example) to spend on a car, they want to go really fast, so they buy a civic si, or an s2000, or a sentra. If they REALLY wanted to go fast, why not either buy a car for 20k thats already fast, or buy a car for 6k and put the rest into it? Why buy a car that's painfully slow to begin with when your soul intention is to go fast?

People like you, are different. You clearly want your car to perform, you want the rush of high horsepower. What i don't get is these people with a body kit, huge wing, intake, exhaust, and the "i can beat anyone" attitude, when they clearly couldn't run a 17 down hill with a tail wind. It's almost as if they are scared to go fast but don't want anyone to know it lol.

My uncle races Pro Mod funny bike, and I practically grew up at a dragstrip. So race gas, tube frames, and big slicks have always been in my blood. There is nothing like the feeling of pulling the front wheels off the ground, especially at an intersection. I respect anyone who truly wants to go fast with their car, not just say "i have an 1800hp supra!" that runs 11's on a good day because the asshole who built it builds car with the theory "bigger is better." I'm sure we all know (well those who actually KNOW, not read in some tuner magazine) that bigger is better couldn't be further from the truth when it comes to forced induction.

· Registered
137 Posts
so you're telling me a 3100lb fwd with 285whp will be just as quick as a 3100lb rwd car with 285whp? The reason i gave that example(which i assumed most people who understand how drag racing works) is because of 60' times. A fwd car will simply not achieve the same launches a rwd car with.

I can see your immaturity is causing you to get vulgar so i'll try to end this discussion in this post. I never said it was FASTER, I said quicker. a big difference.

And i NEVER said rwd was the end all be all, but i do believe it's going to take a miracle for a fwd to run mid 4's. As far as drag racing is concerned, yes, rwd IS a better platform, plain and simple. Thanks for remind me!

and i drive a 3 because my camaro did not like driving 50 miles each way to school, so i bought an ECONOMY car.

thanks bud.

· Registered
137 Posts
awd has it's limits though, plus a price tag(which is a moot point.) Once you've kicked the ass end out pulling into traffic for the first time, it's hard to get away from rwd. I tried to keep my camaro, but it just wasn't practical at the time, and i knew i would be starting a project car asap. I've got a block ready, but i am yet to decide what i want to put it in.

· Registered
137 Posts
[quote author=colorblindtyler link=topic=74895.msg1341672#msg1341672 date=1176766158]
[quote author=LT1 link=topic=74895.msg1341541#msg1341541 date=1176763466]
I never said it was FASTER, I said quicker. a big difference.
[/quote]

So what's the difference?
[/quote]

is that a serious question?? Fast pertains to rate of travel quick pertains to duration....

· Registered
137 Posts
i saw a post "what does it take to run 12's" under unread posts since last visit. So i clicked on it. And i didn't know in order to modify my car i had to know how much it weighs. I've spent over a year in a technical school for automotive, and another 6 months learning nothing but Mercedes-Benz. Not to mention growing up building cars... so i'm pretty sure i can find my way around my car just fine... but thanks for making an ass out of yourself.

· Registered
137 Posts
excuse me? i'm not the one who jumped into a thread just to correct someone's example on a car's weight.... if there is one thing i DO know it's that you've master the art of hypocrisy.

as far as 1/4 mile goes... 1.7's and 1.8's are pretty close to impossible in a fwd setup like ours... assuming it's a ~12 second car. the ms6's have a ...small... launching advantage lol. a 1.7 60ft sure does feel nice though.

· Registered
137 Posts
so minus the passenger seat, spare, rear seats, etc, you could probably get it down to 2,950. Run on ~1/4 tank, with some 16's and drag radial and low to mid 13's should be easy stock i would imagine. I guess i'll just have to wait until it's in my driveway to find out.

· Registered
137 Posts
im ordering that and a few other things before the car even gets here(mount, shifter bushings, sharkfin, etc. stuff that usually takes a while and that i KNOW i will want right away)

I've got a few sets of dr's from my camaro, but 2 sets are 15's and one set is 16's. not sure if they'll fit the 3. At 3,550lbs, with a 2.73 rear axle, broken posi, and 280rwhp 319ft/lbs, my camaro went [email protected] with a less than satisfying 1.95 60ft. So with roughly 40 less hp, and 50 less tq, AND 500 less pounds, I don't see 13.30's-13.40's too far fetched with a stock speed3 and a decent launch.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.