Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
6,605 Posts
we use 15" steelies and stick slicks on. hitting 12s on my rx8 wheels and tires isnt far fetched. If i am actualy going to try it is another thing. What ecu and components of teh ecu are you running jonny...do not attempt to do over like 280whp on stock gears...especially with the turbo you run (gt28?) because it spools way too fast...plus if you are running the regular 28r then i doubt you'll get much over 300 whp efficiently..it just doesnt flow enough air at good temps...that turbo is going to make it very tough to get solid 12s...its possible im sure but u'd need full standalone and more in my opinion. i know that we are aiming for 10seconds on slicks soon and my goal is eventually low 12's or high 11s on my street wheels...i know xenon is gonna beat me to it though :)

· Registered
6,605 Posts
Im confused then. If I had known I was going to be doing something like this ya i would have bought a RWD but i love my 3....you were saying a fwd car has no place at the drag strip but i disagree. With proper components such as suspension work and engine mounts and torque dampeners and LSD I think we do well at the track.

· Registered
6,605 Posts
that is alot more reasonable of a post. the mazda3 is actually a pretty good fwd platform to work with if you want to build. ya the tranny's are weak but if u are seriously shooting for good times then you are going to work on it anyway. adding billet gears, internals, and a properly sized turbo mixed in with the suspension and tranny components i mentioned in an earlier post...this car is a blast...i love the feeling of pulling next to evos, sti's and srt4's and walking them...and then the always enjoyable cocky m3, m5, m6 guy who thinks he's hot shit with his silly patterned polo and oversized necklace and sunglasses tries to show off by racing a silly "ricer" in a mazda3 until he is seeing my tail lights 30 ft ahead of him...yes - we do have a bunch of guys with body kits and slow mazda3's but i dont think they are really into the racing thing. i decided to keep my car looking as stock as possible because i dont care if the people around me look at my car and go man thats just a normal mazda3. i did what i did because i love the feeling of boost, hitting that threshold where the person in the passenger seat begins to clench there hands on whatever they can find becaues of the acceleration is what makes me smile. ya i have had buyers remorse a few times...usually its in my bed at nite but when that happens i go for a drive and step on it and feel o so much better hehe

· Registered
6,605 Posts
[quote author=sleeping link=topic=74895.msg1342085#msg1342085 date=1176774933]
euro have you ever been to a drag strip?

and my car weighs a little more than that. add a 10 in the trunk, and a whole turbo kit up front.
I'm probably a bunch closer to 3klbs.

I wanted to buy an evo, but jerad talked me out of it. I alreay have a 3 and a turbo. so I'm most of the way there.

Jake I'm still runnin the emanage (well when the turbo's on) and I don't have a 28, I have a gt25 so mine pretty much spools at idle... I definatly have to roll on the gas in my car.
The turbo's supposed to be good for 300 wheel, so I guess that's my goal. If the 25 can't get me there then I'll just have to invest in a 35...
[/quote]

whoa whoa whoa...the 25 is not good to 300 to the wheels...garretts website says 250...the gt28rs is good for about 320whp...anyhting over 250 on the gt25 is completely out of its efficiency...running 12s is IMPOSSIBLE without nitrous with that turbo...id be impressed to see low 13s with it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.