Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey people im new here.... I was thinking of buying a 3 sometime around july or august (clearance events are very nice plus need to save some mula) To you all that own one, tell me what you think about it... i know this is a mz3 forum and all but i still wanna know if your happy about your decision on buying it... For example is it quicker (by meaning good acceleration) that what you expected and all that jizz? I have been trying to make final decisions on a car and need to figure out between several options ..... civic si, mazda3, maybe srt-4 ( but thats insurance hell and relieablilty) or something else under 20g i can find, but when i saw the mazda3 i fell in love...

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
before you get nailed by the mods, and they close your post... just use the search function.

If there is an issue you are wondering about, it's probably on here. Even though it might take a little bit more time to search, you'll find a wealth of information already posted.

Good luck man, and welcome to the forum. I pick up my 3 next friday, and I couldn't be happier with my choice.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I love my three. The only thing that I didn't like the orginal wipe blades- but I got the dealer to replace those.

The accelleration is good - but not the best in class: Spec V or SRT-4. Is it quicker than I expected? No - I test drove the Mazda 6 witht he 2.3, so I knew what to expect. Above 3500 RPM it's great.

The handling is great - even with so-so stock tires. (the nicest thing you'll hear on the board is that people can live with them until they wear out).

The bottom line is that the 3 is a great car. You'll be hard pressed to find anyone who is unhappy with it.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Yeah, love my 3, itsa very nice! ;) It's quieter and faster than I expected it to be, once I took it out on a test drive I kissed my beloved 02 Protege5 goodbye and brought home my 04.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Mine suxor hardcore.

You know, the windows in back go all the way down, it has a sunroof, projector headlights, the turn signals cast funky patterns everywhere, the seats hold me in place, more cargo room than any car in it's class, comes is a wide array of colors, more storage pockets than my closet at home, it's got a sleek design, and picks up hots chicks with little or no effort from myself.

Yeah, it sucks. :)

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
cowtown said:
Yeah, love my 3, itsa very nice! ;) It's quieter and faster than I expected it to be, once I took it out on a test drive I kissed my beloved 02 Protege5 goodbye and brought home my 04.
Heh-heh... You too, huh??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea i just came back from test driving one (well just got home, but drove it ealier). wasn't halfway bad at all... only complaint is that the gears when releasing the clutch, well compaired to a eclipse which a 5 speed feels like an automatic. but either than that i liked it... it had more "pep" than i expected ( the s model ) and since the salesman rode with me i really couldn't really test it out ( cornering, double-clutching, top speed etc....) but from what i felt i liked it... in the looks i really liked the guages....lol ... maybe im a dork but i like the red on top of a hint of blue. the shorter shifter also kept my intrest... and the great part of all ... was i wasn't crampt in the "cockpit" as i think i should be in a compact. hopefully when i get enough money saved, they will have enough aftermarket support to fill the cliche "my need for speed" lol.. one last question.... can you get the xenon package without having to get the other packages added on... all i want is a s model base trim with the xenon package... dont need the bigger wheels or anything else...

·
Registered
272 Posts
crazyboy said:
yea i just came back from test driving one (well just got home, but drove it ealier). wasn't halfway bad at all... only complaint is that the gears when releasing the clutch, well compaired to a eclipse which a 5 speed feels like an automatic. but either than that i liked it... it had more "pep" than i expected ( the s model ) and since the salesman rode with me i really couldn't really test it out ( cornering, double-clutching, top speed etc....) but from what i felt i liked it... in the looks i really liked the guages....lol ... maybe im a dork but i like the red on top of a hint of blue. the shorter shifter also kept my intrest... and the great part of all ... was i wasn't crampt in the "cockpit" as i think i should be in a compact. hopefully when i get enough money saved, they will have enough aftermarket support to fill the cliche "my need for speed" lol.. one last question.... can you get the xenon package without having to get the other packages added on... all i want is a s model base trim with the xenon package... dont need the bigger wheels or anything else...
Look dude, I'm 18, and if I can type a coherent post, I'm sure as hell you can too. Seriously. I'm not trying to attack you, but it's hard to figure out just what you're saying. Are you saying that you didn't like the transmission in the 3? Was it a manual? You think the Eclipse has a better tx?

If you think the Eclipse has a better tx, get your head checked. The 3 has one of the lightest, smoothest, and sweetest clutches anywhere. And that goes for the gearbox as well.

If that's not what you meant to say, I'm sorry for calling you out. But I think I've made my point about coherent posts.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Huh?

(I gotta stop drinkin)

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
crazyboy said:
yea i just came back from test driving one (well just got home, but drove it ealier). wasn't halfway bad at all... only complaint is that the gears when releasing the clutch, well compaired to a eclipse which a 5 speed feels like an automatic.
First...learn how to write because we have to decipher everything you said.

2- Gears feel like an automatic??? Where did you learn to drive a 5 spd? Not sure what you are trying to say here....that after you clutched it feels like an automatic....whatever that means....?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Crazyboy, I'm really not trying to pick on you but:

1.) Why do you want test double-clutching? You do know that the 3's MTx is double-synchro'd on gears 1 and 2, right?
2.) Cornering...You say you wanted to test cornering, but then you said you don't want the upgraded wheels/tires...What gives?
3.) Top speed? Seriously, that's really bothering me. Why would you want to test the top speed, on a test drive no less? Don't you think that would be just a *little* reckless? FYI, the top speed on all US-spec Mazda3 models is 118MPH.

Also, search the forum and go to Mazdausa.com and attempt to configure the car you want. But I'll save you some trouble this time: You have to get the ABS/SAB/SAC Package and the Sport Package if you want the Xenons on the sedan.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Oh.. Okay... I thought it was the drinks... :oops:

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
USCMazda3 said:
Look dude, I'm 18, and if I can type a coherent post, I'm sure as hell you can too. Seriously. I'm not trying to attack you, but it's hard to figure out just what you're saying. Are you saying that you didn't like the transmission in the 3? Was it a manual? You think the Eclipse has a better tx?

If you think the Eclipse has a better tx, get your head checked. The 3 has one of the lightest, smoothest, and sweetest clutches anywhere. And that goes for the gearbox as well.
If you really want an unbiased opinion, I think the 3's shifter/tranny sucks ass. My Jetta & bro's Si both feel better than the 3. Just because this is a Mazda3 forum doesnt mean you totally bash other cars out there. So maybe you drove one (of course thats what everyone says) and didnt like it.

I personally think, the gearing could have been closer. Our Si has very short gears and the shifter is damn near identical to the S2K.

And if you think the clutch is the sweetest, you need to have your brain evaluated.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I dunno, I understood what he was sayin ;) Here's my list:

Build Date 10/03
1) Long Crank Times (low pressure on the fuel pump regulator)
2) What feels/looks like slight grooving on rear rotors.
3) Clutch pedal squeeks (I think some WD40 would fix that up right)
4) Pulls to left ever so slightly if the wheel is perfectly straight.
5) Passenger side window looks to be off alignment

HOWEVER: even with the 2 "big" problems, I love my car. It handles like a dream, is quick enough for me and pulls when it needs. I paid $250 below invoice for it and and loving every penny spent. I would not have gone with any other car at the same price.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i agree with vaboom.... the eclipse has a much smoother clutch, especially the new ones. i wasn't bashing the mz3 just was pointing out a very minor thing... and the thing about the xenon, the salesman that rode with me said that i didn't have to get the extra pacakages for the xenon. i dunno.. maybe it was just his sales techniques.... and sorry about the earlier post.... i just kept typing and typing to what came to mind lol

·
Registered
272 Posts
vaBooM said:
And if you think the clutch is the sweetest, you need to have your brain evaluated.
You need to get your eyes checked. I said "one of" the sweetest. Stop taking what I say out of context, buddy.

This is all subjective anyway. Honda really does make good trannies. I have serious reservations about VW, though, especially the 6-speed they use in the Jetta.

:x

·
Registered
563 Posts
civic si, mazda3, maybe srt-4
I got quoted $50 more than the 3 on the civic sedan. Plus I think the Si is fugly. And the SRT-4 would spank the 3, not sure about the Si. However, I find the Neon look to be repulsive, and not to mention how many cars have already been stamped with that cookie cutter. I like the idea of the 3 being a newer fresh look on the road. I love(loved) the car. My opinion may not be the most accurate, coming from a Jeep, but I think it rides great overall. Handles very well. Power is nice, but could use more low end torque. I definately like the styling. My biggest issue is the room for your foot on the gas.

My .02
Craig

·
Registered
31 Posts
Whoever said that the jetta transmission is nicer than the 3's is nuts. I have a jetta 1.8T and a mz3s and the 3's tranny blows the jetta's away. The handling is better. The engine is sweeter.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts