Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The question pretty much says it all. I heard Chevron is supposed to be a good brand because of the Techron additive they have in their gas, or is it just hype? Unfortunately, there are no Chevron stations in PA that I know of. Around my immediate area I have Texaco, Sunoco, and not sure what else. In my mom's area (Philly) we have many different brands like Exxon, WAWA :roll: , Sunoco, Hess, Texaco, Mobil etc.
( these last 3 are closest). Also, I heard Mobil is good gas but not sure. Is the quality dependent on area ( supplier etc.), or is it dependent on brand/company?

Which brand(s) do you use, and which brands should be avoided? Thanks.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I know for sure that gas at Shell in Canada contains less sulfur than any company out there. However, they did get into trouble a couple of years ago with their additive in the gas that used to clog the gasline and the fuel sensor.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Here in Cleveland the best seem to be Shell (#1), Sunoco (#2), and Speedway (#3). By far the worst is BP. My lawnmower, bike, and anything else I've put it in runs like CRAP! On my old fire department we used BP deisel and went through more fuel pumps than you can imagine. I like gas with as little additives as possible. Any "bigger" supplier should be o.k. I try to stay away from lower volume gas stations. I've have this thing about fuel that sits and sits. I just can't wait to be done with the winter gas. The gas mileage sucks! Everyone will have their opinion though as to what seems to work better for them.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I will use any major brand except for Arco, usually Shell or Chevron.

All US gas has to have detergent thanks to federal law. It's unlikely that "Chevron with Techron" is substantially better than "76 with Propower" etc.

Interestingly, in many markets not all major manufacturers have their own refining facilities, so the gas you buy at a Mobil station may have been refined at a Shell refinery or vice versa. As I understand it the only difference is the additive package that is added when the truck is being loaded.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Most of the time the gas you buy at the pump is not from a refinery owned by that company. Often a particular gas station will buy fuel from another company or a middleman distributer. The same station could be getting multiple brands of gasoline in the same month.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
I usually stick with Shell, even though they're the most expensive... I constantly get the best mileage out of their gas.

I also use Beacon.

My car doesn't like 76, Chevron or Arco.

·
Registered
526 Posts
While we are praising Shell, if you get a Shell Master Card from Citibank you automatically get 5% back on every gas purchase and 1% back on all other purchases. Just a thought...

·
Registered
90 Posts
up here in Canada, they say that Petro Canada is the cleanest, whereas Esso is the dirtiest. Ive also heard that Shell and Sunoco are the best for mileage, but the stations are far and near.

·
Registered
98 Posts
gas is gas. i go for whats cheap. usually sams or costco or walmart or target or the grocery store ones - ie randalls, HEB, and kroger.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have never seen a supermarket have a gas station attached to them, but I have seen them at Costco, SAM's Club. Interesting...

·
Registered
256 Posts
lmp180psu said:
I have never seen a supermarket have a gas station attached to them, but I have seen them at Costco, SAM's Club. Interesting...
Stop and Shop sells gas up here. Although you may not even have Stop and Shop in PA. It's a grocery store chain, the biggest one in New England at least.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I'm a Chevron person myself - any time I deviate from it, I get crappy gas mileage and it takes another tank to get it back.

If we had QT/QuickTrip here, I'd probably use it.

Chevron and Texaco are related in refinery process, dunno about the additive though. Texaco and Shell use the same finacials, but I don't thing the gas is identical.

·
Registered
744 Posts
lmp180psu said:
We have them here at Meijer and Wal-mart. Sometimes Meijer has specials where you can save on combinations of certain groceries and gas purchased at the same visit.

The only gas I have ever had trouble with was gas from Marathon. I stopped by there a couple times because it was conveinent and my older car stalled at stop signs at least three times after each switch to Marathon from another company.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It is weird hearing about all the different brands I have never heard of. I thought it was weird when Walmart started expanding to include a supermarket :shock:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't know what it is about Citgo gasoline but all I know is that whenever I use it my cars run much faster.......proven in a 2000 Mitsu Eclipse and now my Mz3........try and find one and you'll see for yourself.....it's like I found the holy grail of performance fuels! 8)

·
Registered
155 Posts
i go for petro-canada .... nice and clean all the time ... and you get this petro points card that will reward you with stuff like car wash ...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts