Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm from suthern usa. My car is currently stuck in about an inch of hard ice at the bottom of a hill in my neighborhood. This is definately something I am not use to.

My question is directed to all ya'll northerners. (I don't actually talk like this). Which brand/series of wiper blade is the best for winter ice conditions?

Also, which type of de-icer is best to use on your windows/in your windshield washer tank.

Thanks!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to give you an idea of my condition, I'm not the only car stuck, there are about 5 cars chained around me, that couldn't even make it to the curb so they are just parked in the middle of the street.

Even a Cop car got stuck last night and had to wait about 3 hours for a 4x4 truck with spiked tires to pull him out.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
I don't like the bosch (stock ones) . I just changed them this weekend to PIAA Super spotza... So far they are mucho better. But for winter condition nothing beats winter wipers. In the city they are fine but on the highway, they lift and don't work well so I never use winter wipers.

http://www.piaa.com/WiperBlades/WiperBlades2.html

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I agree with M3-GT, winter wipers (ones with a rubber "boot" encasing the entire wiper blade) are the way to go. However, seeing that you're from the south, I'm not sure if these are available to you locally...mail order, yes.

As for a de-icer I prefer to use RainX windshield washer fluid. Of course, coating your windshield with a layer of RainX before winter arrives AND using the RainX washer fluid would be ideal.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
They don't have winter wiper blades in stores?

They're regular blades, no specific brandname, but with a rubber "casing" over the blades so they don't freeze.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Yanno, the stock wipers are more than adequate. But when they start streaking, all that means is the blade is dead dry. You dont need to replace them.

What I do is use some Lithium Grease and literally drown the blade and let it soak it up. After a day or so in the sun, the wiper is brand spanking new.

·
Registered
127 Posts
On my car I had before the 3, I had Rain-X wiper blades, and they were the best wiper blades I've ever had. I had em for about 4 months before I got rid of the car and they were worked as good after 4 months as they did the day I bought them, and i live in Florida, where it rains ALL THE TIME. I picked them up at Wal-Mart, I forgot how much though, but I am thinking about putting a set on the 3 when the stock ones start goin.

·
Registered
46 Posts
piaa has awesome blades

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
vaBooM said:
Yanno, the stock wipers are more than adequate. But when they start streaking, all that means is the blade is dead dry. You dont need to replace them.

What I do is use some Lithium Grease and literally drown the blade and let it soak it up. After a day or so in the sun, the wiper is brand spanking new.
In cold weather, especially on the passenger side, they doesn't do the job for me. I changed them and no more problemo. :)

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Wow... Rain-X Sells a ton of crap I never knew existed....

Now if I could only find it in the stores...

·
Registered
5,673 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm not a big fan of these high-tech wiper blades and windshield coatings.

Simply using a clay bar on your windshield once or twice a year will cause water to bead. No need for Rain-X, which causes dangerous vision problems as it wears down. Same with that silicon film that the PIAA blades put on your window. It's not needed.

In my Audi, I rarely used wipers at all in the rain at highway speeds. A nice clean window keeps water beading up and running off. I expect the Mazda3 to do the same.

As far as blades go, I say just stick to the Anco Premium blades. They cost $5 each here in Chicago and are built very well considering the price. The wiper arms on the Mazda3 are designed well enough that with the cheap Anco blades I've had no problems at all using them at highway speeds to clear off the winter grime. Much better than the stock blades, that's for sure. And I always replace blades every 6 months to make sure the performance is high. Those high-tech blades are going to need to last 2 years before they become a better deal.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Umm.. What's a clay bar? Wouldn't that smear the window?

·
Registered
109 Posts
A clay bar is what auto detailers use to remove the microscopic grit that you can't see (but might be able to feel) on your clearcoat and windows. It doesn't smear at all.

EDIT - depending on what kind of clay bar you get, you will use it while your car is still wet after washing or you will use it after you dry it (but before wax) with a chemical spray. Some people say that the chemical spray ones work better, but the wet water ones work well enough for me - and are much more convenient to use. This is why it doesn't smear. There is a liquid barrier.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Will the Super Sportz's work in the winter or are they stickly warmer weather wipers? I'm looking for good "all seasons" for Canada.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 52 Posts