Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am bothered about the inability to install an aftermarket HU in the 3. My thought is that one could place an aftermarket equilizer in place of the ashtray or the blank DIN sized space above the ashtray. There are several units out there that offer speaker wire inputs and RCA outputs for external amps. Anyone out there have any experience using this setup?

The greatest fear I have in doing any mods like this is that in my last car (a 98 Neon), I tried to put in an aftermarket amp and 6x9's using the factory speaker wire and I lost all front/rear balance. I could either listen to the front speakers or the rear speakers, not both at the same time. I ended up replacing the HU, which was no big deal in the Neon. The Mazda3...no way.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
How big of an equilizer you plan to use? The better ones out there are half din size and typical HU width. I thought about the glove box, on the top. The pocket inside doesnt make contact with the top at all, maybe a 1.5" clearance. For the best equilizer, the AudioControl 3.1 is awesome.

You would be able to fade on the EQ.. and it has a sub control as well. The best thing about it, is it outputs 13v max! Try that with a audiophile HU.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts