Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I purchased some Hoen Xenomatch Fog bulbs and attempted to replace them with the OEM.

I was told by a local Mazda dealer service person that I would need to push in the bulb and then turn counterclockwise. Well, I did just that but the bulb unit moves about 1/4" and then stops. I'm afraid if I add any more force I could potentially break the unit. So I tried the passenger side and damn...that one is even tougher to get out. WTF...I can't remove the bulb housing unit to replace the bulb??? That tells me right there that if any bulbs ever burn out, the dealership would have to replace them since there's very little room to do anything. Any suggestions on what to do? I've also referred to the manual and that thing makes it seem so easy...NOT!

Now I'm going to have to pay Mazda $78/hr to replace the bulbs with the new ones...what a pain in the ass!

Spencer

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Geez... cant be that hard.

Ill look tomorrow if it isnt too cold.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
HA got u beat... its like 5 to 0 the past few days.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
birdy said:
did you take your bumper off

real easy that way
Hey Birdy,

The manual didn't state to take off the bumper...and I would hate to do that anyways. I was able to get my hand underneath the panel and twist and wiggle the bulb unit...but no luck on unlatching the damn thing. It's wedge in there pretty tight. Why is it so difficult? The dealers must make a lot of money replacing bulbs alone...at least for the front of the vehicle here in NA. Easy access to the rear bulbs...go figure...the least expensive ones are easy and the more expensive cannot be touch :evil: .

Spencer

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
You can get to the rear bulbs? Do you have a hatch? The Sedan I have doesn't show an easy way to remove the interior lining to get to the taillights.

Maybe the cold weather is making it harder to undo the lights?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
a_kaup said:
H11 only takes a bit of a turn to lock into place remember, it will not need force. The trick is to push down lightly and turn.
Hey a_kaup,

That's what my dealer said too, and I guarantee you that I pushed in and turned the bulb unit...but it only turns about 1/4" and won't let me pull it out. On the passenger side...its even tougher. I think I'll have to wait for my OEM bulbs to burn before I put the new ones in. I really don't want to spend $80 to have them installed at this time...its just so disappointing :( .

Spencer

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
rpc180 said:
You can get to the rear bulbs? Do you have a hatch? The Sedan I have doesn't show an easy way to remove the interior lining to get to the taillights.

Maybe the cold weather is making it harder to undo the lights?
Yes...I have a hatchback.

Spencer

·
Registered
744 Posts
birdy said:
did you take your bumper off

real easy that way
What is the procedure for taking off the bumper? I would like to be able to change my fog lights without going to the dealer.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Many cars with the H11 will require the bumper to come off. Why? The H11 is a very long life design and manufacturers can design around this with bumper configurations. The EVO VIII is another one that requires removal of the front bumper.

But luckily its easy, have the dealer print you out the step by step from the CD - a 12 pack of donuts will do the trick.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
We need to get the schematic CDs from somewhere. Anyone have any friends? I hate asking the dealer for stuff, I always feel a little dirty.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
digi0123 said:
We need to get the schematic CDs from somewhere. Anyone have any friends? I hate asking the dealer for stuff, I always feel a little dirty.
Being dirty is good...and can sometimes get you what you want :twisted: !

UPDATE!!!

I contacted my dealer again this morning and we negotiated to only half the cost of install ($80/hr.)...so the new price will be $39 plus tax...a little more reasonable, especially if they have to take off the bumper.

Can't wait to see my new HOEN bulbs :D ...but I already miss my car dearly :( .

Spencer

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
bee04M3S said:
If I were you, I would have worked out a way to be there while they were doing the work...take pics, etc. That way the rest of us will know what to do!
Sorry bee,

I wish I could have stayed, but I don't think that it was permissible to be in that area unless you are a member of the staff. Also, had to return back to work. When it's all said and done...I'll get the digi-cam and post some pics. I'll be sure to ask the service guy as to what measures he had to take to swap out the bulbs and provide some insight as to what procedures were performed. We'll see if removing the bumper is a requirement or not....hopefully not.

Let's see how good these HOEN bulbs are!

Spencer

·
Registered
13 Posts
Let me know please!

Hi Overkast,
Let me know how you're Hoen foglights look. I'm thinking to have a pair shipped all the way to The Netherlands so i like to hear from users experiences. Would be a waste of probably a lot of money if they suck!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts