Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the asses at the mazda dealership in walnut creek overtightened the oil drain bolt on the oil filter housing and caused a crack that spewed all my oil out at my school. thankfully, i was able to get my car to one of the lifts in my autoshop class before anything bad happened to my engine and i was able to put her up on the lift and diagnose the problem. i had to get my friend to drive me down to mazda to buy the new housing which was only 30 bucks (its a freeking piece of plastic!!!!!) and drive me back to school. i drained the oil, replaced the oil filter and put the new housing on. i replaced the oil and guess what, no more spewing crack in my car!

damn dealers... they wouldnt take responsibility for what they did. but im just glad its fixed so yay for that! why dont they make the housings metal? wouldnt that solve the problem?

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Bummer! For $30 you could have bought the 2.0l conversion kit, and then you would never have that problem again. I've had the conversion for a couple of years with no problems at all. I just don't know why Mazda made the cartridge filter housing out of plastic?? I guess aluminum would have put the price of the car over the top................ :lol:

Darryl

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
huh? 2.0l conversion? my car is the 2.3l conversion. lol.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow thanks. thats really helpful. i might think of doing this soon. how much does this cost?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
[quote author=kingfisher3 link=topic=134057.msg2881249#msg2881249 date=1232586591]
wow thanks. thats really helpful. i might think of doing this soon. how much does this cost?
[/quote]

Be aware that if you have a warranty, that conversion will void it.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
The ONLY time I let someone else change my oil, they did the exact same thing. Mine was a very small crack and I didn't notice for a long time, the splash shield collected all the drips so i didn't see them on the ground until it built up into quite a puddle. Laaaame.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
[quote author=bicycle_wreck link=topic=134057.msg2881314#msg2881314 date=1232587808]
[quote author=kingfisher3 link=topic=134057.msg2881249#msg2881249 date=1232586591]
[/quote]

[/quote]

If it's an oil related failure, and the dealer can prove it, then they can deny warranty. They however can not deny any and all warranties due to a non-approved Mazda part. You can check the magnuson-moss warranty act: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
OP has an 04. Warranty long gone.

I do my own oil now too. Last time they placed greasy palms on my fenders. It took some time to undo the damage they caused to the paint.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Yep, the last time my Dakota R/T had to go to the dealer, they scratched the front of my glove box. It took me 3 weeks, and a lot of asking nicely, yelling and threatening to have them finally replace it. My Mazda hasn't needed to go to the dealer for anything yet (knock on wood) so I've been luck so far.

I do all of the PM and light maintenance on all 3 of my vehicles, because I have yet to find anybody who cares as much as I do about other peoples stuff.

Darryl

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea my warrenty just ended a couple weeks ago actually. the original owner of the car bought an aftermarket warrenty. unfortuneatly, i really wanna do this mod but my dad wont let me. im going to see if i can do it as my final auto shop project for the end of the year. im going to do this, straight pipe my exhaust (or put a glasspack in it) and put in an sri/cai depending on which gives better performance. plus i wanna put on a new suspension. my goal for the car is when i am in college, i want to make the first rear wheel drive mazda 3. it is, in my opinion, the best looking sedan on the market and i just love the car to death but i want rear wheel drive performance. itl prolly take an assload of work, but i talked to a seasoned body shop worker and he said it can be done and he did it to his old civic by scratch.

im not gonna do it for another year or two tho cus i still have to pay for college. lol

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well im also not too confident in my mechanical competence yet. like i can do minor things but how much room for error is there in this project? is it complicated for me to do? and how much time did it take you to do it?

i have only worked on junk cars that barely run and im kinda afraid of messing my car up. all i have done is the advanced timing mod and ecu reset. ive torn apart the interior but that was about as easy as leggos.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
There are four (4) 10mm bolts that hold the housing onto the engine block. There is an oil psi sensor that has to be unscrewed from the stock housing, and reinstalled into the 2.0 housing. It took me 25min to do the swap while my oil was draining from the sump.

You need a 10mm socket, ratchet and some extensions ect. "I think" the oil sensor is a 13/16" fitting, so you'll need a wrench for that. You'll need some Teflon tape to wrap the oil sensor so it doesn't leak when you reinstall it. (you can get this at any plumbing store for a couple bucks) That's about it. Just make sure to do the work when the engine is cool (because its aluminum) and most importantly..........DON'T OVER TIGHTEN THE 4 BOLTS WHEN YOU INSTALL THE NEW HOUSING!! Again, the block is aluminum, and the bolts need to be tight, but not TIGHT!

I torqued my bolts to 14 ftlbs and I have never had a leak what so ever. If you can change your own oil, you can do this "mod"!!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
wow that just gave me a huge confidence boost!

thanks for the info. im gonna schmoose my dad into letting me do this. lol

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
[quote author=D Bone link=topic=134057.msg2881326#msg2881326 date=1232588067]
[quote author=bicycle_wreck link=topic=134057.msg2881314#msg2881314 date=1232587808]
[/quote]

[/quote]

If it's an oil related failure, and the dealer can prove it, then they can deny warranty. They however can not deny any and all warranties due to a non-approved Mazda part. You can check the magnuson-moss warranty act: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act
[/quote]

Yea, but a service manager straight-up told me they would void my warranty. It doesn't matter if he's right or wrong or whether or not its even legal. He would have voided the warranty--blacklisted my car--and my only available recourse would have been legal action. For a filter conversion? No thanks, I'll wait until the warranty is up.

Its wrong, sure, but that's what would have happened and it just wasn't worth the headache. The OP, however, has no reason not to do the conversion.

I don't think that the service manager in question could tell me what the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act was about...

Moreover, I couldn't find anything in the link provided talking about modification of the consumer product and the voiding of warranties. If Mazda explicitly states within the warranty that they can void the warranty under certain conditions, then they are actually protected by the Magnuson-Moss act.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode15/usc_sec_15_00002302----000-.html

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/keeping-your-mods-warranty-intact.html

Further, under the act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not automatically void a vehicle manufacturer's original warranty, unless the warranty clearly states the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle's warranty, or if it can be proven that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure.
I don't think Mazda explicitly states that, but I don't have my warranty info handy...

Either way, you're right.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
my warrenty is up so yea. i can do whatever i want to my car now. lol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts