Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have yet to tell all of you, that my car would be going into the shop not only for powdercoating, but because someone at my school backed into it (I wasn't even in the car)

So I guess that's where the story starts.

Wednesday of last week, I dropped it off at Trinity Restorations in Tulsa, Oklahoma, the self proclaimed "Best shop in Oklahoma"

They had to replace the rear bumper cover to fix the damage, and they told me that would be done on Friday, at that time, they would take the wheels off, and send them off to be powdercoated.

I live in Muskogee, about an hour away, so there's not much control I have over the situation, also I should tell you, that I keep my car in the garage 100% of the time it's not being driven/at school.

So here's the fun part.

The shop called my father this morning, letting them know that the previous night's thunderstorm had caused a bit of hail damage to my car, because they left it outside. I'm not super familiar with the way body shops work, but I was not at all happy that it was outside to begin with, it never has been before.

Oh, and they hadn't even started on my car, when it was supposed to be finished by friday? So that's pretty great.

So dad calls me out of school, and we have to go to Tulsa to see the damage. I would have to say that it is the most disgusting thing I have ever seen. They estimate the damage to be at almost $8000 dollars, and the roof will have to be replaced. Because of this shop, my car is... destroyed, they told me that even when they fix it, it will never be like new again.

My car was my first brand new car, and now it's never going to be the same again? I don't know how I'm supposed to take this all in stride. What should I do? I know you guys are the only people that care, just... make me feel better.

I will post pictures as soon as I settle down.

My speed3 will be going up for sale as soon as it is finished at the shop, it's a gt with 3500 miles. I need to get a good price for it so I can buy a new one.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Plain and simple: SUE

It's their fault that happened to your car in the first place. And when they "promise" it will be done by a certain day, and it's not even started? Yeah, that's bull. I've seen it happen many times. What maybe you could have done when you brought the car to them, was tell them flat out "do not keep the car outside". But still. The least they coulda done was brought the car inside as soon that storm approached, so as not to get your car dirty or damaged.

Check the KBB value of your car. I'm sure it's nice and high, being brand new with so little miles on it. When the car gets fixed, you don't need to mention the damage when selling it. Or you can, and just let the buyer know what happened, and that caused the value to go down a little. I'm sorry this happened to you. I don't get a spot in the garage with my parents' cars, and I'm scared everyday to leave my new car outside. I get really paranoid when I hear people damaging random cars, you know? Anyway, good luck with your situation, and I hope this helped you a little bit ;)

·
Registered
230 Posts
The body shop is responsible for what happens to your car while in their posession.

I have worked at dealerships for many years, and any time a vehicle is damaged on the lot while not in the posession of the owner, we are liable/have a responsibility to fix it. That's what their liability insurance is for.

We had a delivery truck smash into one of the vehicles on the lot about 2 months ago, and since no one saw the driver do it, and we couldn't really prove that it was him, the dealership had to fix it.

Just make sure that before you take the vehicle that everything is perfect. Make them bring it as close to new as possible. If the panels don't line up, make them fix it. It's not your fault, it's theirs.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
It is very common to keep cars outside. They dont exactly have parking garages.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts