Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So basically I have a 2007 mazda speed 3 and I wanna assume that I may just have a bad clutch but for some reason this grinding noise I get on my shifting ONLY happens from 3rd to 4th Sometimes it doesnt even do it. But when it does the higher the RPM the louder the crunch. I also dont just get this when im doing pulls. I can also get this at times when im just driving normally. if yall have Any ideas before I take out the transmission and check my clutch that could possibly save me some time.
Heres a video i recorded the grind happens at the very end of going into 4th gear. Streamable Video

·
Registered
238 Posts
Sounds typical of a worn syncro. If the clutch wasn't releasing correctly, I agree that you'd have grinding between the other gears, and you'd also get grind into the unsynchronized reverse. Do you get grind or "catching" at the daily-driver shift RPMs/speeds recommended in the owner's manual?

I believe high-rev shifting puts more strain/wear on your synchros, as they experience more intense friction to match the engine and transmission quickly. I'd double-check that your gear oil is topped-off, consider going easy on those 3-to-4 shifts (at least), and/or budget for transmission repair/replacement.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts