Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have this weird noise coming from my engine sounds like chugging or ticking or tapping or something something like that. like a cheap old car or something so dealer consulted mazda and maybe ordering a new engine will see what happens.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Re: weird engine noise

That's amazing. I'm having the same problem and it just became noticeable about a week ago. It's only at the initial take-off. Once I let off the clutch in first gear, I hear this ticking/rattling noise. There's a thread on here that talks about this issue.

I know I'm overdue for an oil change but I'm not sure if this is the problem.

Let me know what Mazda says.

·
Registered
276 Posts

[quote author=MattyJ link=topic=69462.msg1206744#msg1206744 date=1171457956]
That's amazing. I'm having the same problem and it just became noticeable about a week ago. It's only at the initial take-off. Once I let off the clutch in first gear, I hear this ticking/rattling noise. There's a thread on here that talks about this issue.

[/quote]

Hello???

There is a TSB related to what you are describing:
http://www.finishlineperformance.com/mazda3/docs/0035.pdf

It is alway wize to go down the list of TSB's befor asking questions.
... well atleast if your car is still under warrenty
http://www.finishlineperformance.com/mazda3/bulletins_index.html

·
Registered
108 Posts

That TSB refers to a one-time event click or pop noise. They are saying they have a rattling or clicking noise. Don't overlook the transmission side motor mount because that sounds a lot like the symptoms I have. I have a feeling excessive wheel hop killed mine. There's a thread somewhere on this forum that I posted about it ... [checks]

Ahh, here it is...
http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=69099.0

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

[quote author=MattyJ link=topic=69462.msg1206744#msg1206744 date=1171457956]

[/quote]

i dunt know if its the same but it basically sounds like a lousy engine running the sound is rythmic but nasty...tak tak tak tak tak......like a lousy truck or GM or something like I mentioned...do not know how manual works :) but when I am in D because of the other parts working i cant really here it from the cabin, when it park and idling it gets louder the longer it idles..dealer said i need a new engine so we'll see what happens with that.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So they are having a new engine put in under warranty, couldnt see a problem from the areas they could take apart, So should I take note of anything? I have to break it in the same way right? Should I let them put whatever oil they put in or should I get them to fill it with what I usually use from the start?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[quote author=Mattleegee link=topic=69462.msg1217440#msg1217440 date=1171926069]
Referring to like a diesel sound when idleing?
[/quote]

Yups you could call it that. I think sounds in the the realm of what an engine would sound like but not ours....tak tak tak tak.... tak tak tak tak.. well rough LOL...could say it sounds like a diesel.. why what do you know.. LOL

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
[quote author=jdanielsg link=topic=69462.msg1217617#msg1217617 date=1171932432]
[quote author=Mattleegee link=topic=69462.msg1217440#msg1217440 date=1171926069]
Referring to like a diesel sound when idleing?
[/quote]

Yups you could call it that. I think sounds in the the realm of what an engine would sound like but not ours....tak tak tak tak.... tak tak tak tak.. well rough LOL...could say it sounds like a diesel.. why what do you know.. LOL
[/quote]

How many miles do you have on it?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I notice it more at idle and it gets worse as it idles longer, well the people at the dealership seem to think its a problem as well and worth swapping the engine.. it was much much louder on mind that on other cars according to him.

also as it idles longer the sound gets louder and the vibrations get worse.. well good that they are replacing it, next up is my tranny.. lol

I have about 30,000KM and had it since late Aug 2005.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also when they say they change the engine, does that include the intake manifold? I am assuming it does not include the transmission right?

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
[quote author=jdanielsg link=topic=69462.msg1217789#msg1217789 date=1171938134]
Also when they say they change the engine, does that include the intake manifold? I am assuming it does not include the transmission right?
[/quote]
Normally an Intake Manifold would not be included unless your replacement engine was ordered as "Complete" as opposed to a "Long Block".
No the transmission is completely seperate.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well apparently its going to be complete.. according to the service manager, but hes an idiot so who knows have to check later in the week.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Sounds like possibly rod knock. I had it before my engine let go, but I torqued a rod from ingesting a little water.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
[quote author=j-so link=topic=69462.msg1218632#msg1218632 date=1171990127]
Sounds like possibly rod knock. I had it before my engine let go, but I torqued a rod from ingesting a little water.
[/quote]

I am pretty sure mine is not water related becaus ethey could find any signs of it, also never got a CEL and I sock my Mazdaspeed CAI up real nice with an Injen hydrashield :)

But it seems like this knocking tapping whatever noise is not new, one or 2 people have it here and that vid link i posted from the toronto forums that guy has it too.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
for anyone who is reading because they have similar engine problems:

So they car has been in there for a week, friday they gave me a rentak mazda 5 for the weekend.. (nasty small drivers area) and I should get it back Monday hopefully. They also replaced the starter motors because they said it seemed weird and had some moving parts which it wasnt supposed to have...something was wobbly.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
if u guys didnt catch my post in the other threads... after all the shit I went through the noise is still there... even before reading about the manifold I asked the monkey to check the intake manifold I asked at least 3 times he said not its not possible that, that was the cause of the noise... now after having no car from mon-fri and rental for the weekend and all that I finally was able to prove it was the manifold with the test posted on the other thread which involves pulling out one of the vacum tubes.

I am gonna hold my tounge until they change the manifold then hes going to get it from me.. like wtf.. od i have to do his job? even after i cautioned him so many times..... jeeez

1 - 20 of 24 Posts