Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone has the weight of the stock 16" and 17" tires and wheel ?

The 17" feel damn heavy :shock:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
43 lbs ... ouch !

Wonder oh much the wheel itself weight ?

Do you have the link to that zc1 ?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Someone scaled the Mz3 16" combo ?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I must know the weight of the 16s, I wanna buy some 18s, but is 18.5lbs per wheel without the tire, more or less than the 16s weigh?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Anarkraft said:
I must know the weight of the 16s, I wanna buy some 18s, but is 18.5lbs per wheel without the tire, more or less than the 16s weigh?
Those 18s probably weigh less than the stock 16s, but then tires weight is just as important (if not more) as wheel weight. You will find that as you decrease the size of the sidewalls the tire gets heavier and it will increase your rotating mass. So, no matter what, you will see a decrease in acceleration if you get 18s.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
The stock 17"s weigh in at 22lbs.

·
Registered
202 Posts
wow, really? That's strange, I would have thought the opposite about the reduced sidewalls, but i was thinkin of getting them with some bridgestone potenza S-02's at 215/45-18 will that really weigh more?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think you will be all set...I have ordered 215/45 with my 17's...it will probably even out and all weigh the same or within a couple of pounds of stock unless you get some Rota's or something like that..my rims weigh 16lbs each so they are lighter than stock anyway

·
Registered
109 Posts
Anarkraft said:
wow, really? That's strange, I would have thought the opposite about the reduced sidewalls, but i was thinkin of getting them with some bridgestone potenza S-02's at 215/45-18 will that really weigh more?
The sidewalls are bearing the load on the tire. When you reduce the amount of sidewall, you aren't reducing the load. Therefore the sidewall needs to be stronger, and tire manufacturers add reinforcements to adjust. Those reinforcements end up making the tire heavier.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I always wondered about how they made that work, but i think i will get them for the sake of the better tires and overall nicer look of the wheels, just not for another month or two or three.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For the record: I just weighted the stock 16" and 17" wheel/tire combo with my supa doopa new scale :wink:

17": 43.4 lbs
16": 39.4 lbs

The 16" Toyo tire seems to be a lot more compliant and flexible than the 17" RS-A.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Someday I may replace the OEM 17" rims but I like the look and the weight isn't too too bad. I used to have Centerline RPMs (17 X 7.5) for my Acura that only weighed a bit under 14lbs each -strong suckers too. I have the tire pressure system though...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts