Mazda3 Forums banner

Who else loves wheel hop?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry i posted this as a poll, i didnt have an option for a new topic...anyway

today i spun the tires trying to get into the flow of cars which resulted in the most nasties wheel hop, it felt liek my whole car was falling apart. i never want to experience somethign like that eventhough it happend 2 times. I never had this issue with my 99 golf, if i spun the tires they just spun and that was it, but with the 3 2.0 btw manual, that shit was jumping hard. why is it that it didnt happen in ym golf and it happens in the 3? how do i fix this problem (without saying "stop spinning ut wheels") thanks

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I see you too are in quest of trying to tame the beast...

My dad calls my wheel hop: "Unleashing the beast that is my engine... Pure pent up energy... "

hahaha

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
[quote author=Topic link=topic=69644.msg1211126#msg1211126 date=1171598091]

today i spun the tires trying to get into the flow of cars which resulted in the most nasties wheel hop, it felt liek my whole car was falling apart. i never want to experience somethign like that eventhough it happend 2 times. I never had this issue with my 99 golf, if i spun the tires they just spun and that was it, but with the 3 2.0 btw manual, that shit was jumping hard. why is it that it didnt happen in ym golf and it happens in the 3? how do i fix this problem (without saying "stop spinning ut wheels") thanks
[/quote]

A lot of guys have eliminated the wheel hop by either installing aftermarket motor mounts, or just upgrading their tires. My wheel hop dissappeared after I got Kumho Ecsta ASX's.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok cool thanks for the replies...also how bad is it when you do weel hop to your car, or is the engine built for that force?

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
when im coming off a light. my tires spin faster than my car is going, but ever so slightly so you hear the "sht sht sht shht" instead of it peeling out.

is that what you guys are calling wheel hop? Or you talking about the one wheel spinning real fast when your steering wheel is turned?

I hope wheel hop isnt bad. I kinda like it. But i got stock toyo's.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yeah it's more of a "WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP" accompanied by a lot of vibration... hence the "hop," that's quite literally what it's doing.

And yes mine does it much worse than my 1994 Jetta, FWIW. This thing's getting new tires for sure.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to the improvements new tires make versus the engine mounts/torque dampeners? I mean, I'm definitely going to be replacing the tires, so if they make enough difference, why put on new engine mounts?

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
[quote author=MUSpud2 link=topic=69644.msg1215417#msg1215417 date=1171836491]
Yeah it's more of a "WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP" accompanied by a lot of vibration... hence the "hop," that's quite literally what it's doing.

And yes mine does it much worse than my 1994 Jetta, FWIW. This thing's getting new tires for sure.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to the improvements new tires make versus the engine mounts/torque dampeners? I mean, I'm definitely going to be replacing the tires, so if they make enough difference, why put on new engine mounts?
[/quote]

i have new tires and have never gotten wheel hop, not even once. i just ordered some engine mount inserts from corksport also though. my tires do loose traction with a little too much gas so i wanted to calm that down and get better response from my engine and tires. they were only $40 shipped so compared to the entire insert (80+) i think it was money well spent. (also, if you have manny tranny you probably noticed the engine bucking alot. that is what really led me to putting down the money for the inserts. im afraid something is going to snap or break one day if im pushing too hard :?)

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
[quote author=MUSpud2 link=topic=69644.msg1215417#msg1215417 date=1171836491]

[/quote]

i dont care for increased NVH so the tires are a better mod for me. you get better traction and eliminate wheelhop, and NVH doesnt increase. what's not to like?

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
[quote author=MetalCord link=topic=69644.msg1214260#msg1214260 date=1171754244]
[quote author=Topic link=topic=69644.msg1211126#msg1211126 date=1171598091]

[/quote]

A lot of guys have eliminated the wheel hop by either installing aftermarket motor mounts, or just upgrading their tires. My wheel hop dissappeared after I got Kumho Ecsta ASX's.
[/quote]

None of the upgrades out there will eliminate wheelhop. I have everything you can get from the aftermarket and the wheel hop is still there.
All the mods help but do not eliminate it.
I think we still have a few more engine/tranny mounts to look into before we can get rid of it.

Best way to get rid of it is throttle control. If you are spinning the tires to get wheel hop then you definately have too much throttle for that situation.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
its weird though because i was accelerating really hard this one time and i let out the clutch with too much gas and the tires didnt catch the ground and started spinning (no wheel hop) and at first i didnt realize what was going on (friends in the car, radio, etc.) so i hit the gas more and realized my rpms were up in 5,XXX and so i let off untill i got traction and then hit it... it was kinda fun though after i realized what happened haha
anyway...
i have upgraded tires but no other suspension parts... why did i have no wheel hop at all (just hot smokey tires :)) ??? i dont get it...

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
[quote author=AzMz3 link=topic=69644.msg1216070#msg1216070 date=1171860499]
None of the upgrades out there will eliminate wheelhop. I have everything you can get from the aftermarket and the wheel hop is still there.[/quote]

i changed the tires and wheel hop is gone. the wheels will spin but they won't hop.

of course you have to go to higher profile tires to accomplish this, and everyone modding their cars seems to want to do the exact opposite. they want 20"ers with paper thin tires.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
[quote author=bani link=topic=69644.msg1216266#msg1216266 date=1171870673]
[quote author=AzMz3 link=topic=69644.msg1216070#msg1216070 date=1171860499]
None of the upgrades out there will eliminate wheelhop. I have everything you can get from the aftermarket and the wheel hop is still there.[/quote]

i changed the tires and wheel hop is gone. the wheels will spin but they won't hop.

of course you have to go to higher profile tires to accomplish this, and everyone modding their cars seems to want to do the exact opposite. they want 20"ers with paper thin tires.
[/quote]

I could spin the tires on my Mazda3 when it was stock with no wheel hop...that doens't mean it is gone! That means you are giving way too much throttle and are having traction issues.

I went from the stock tires to some very very sticky Falken tires and there was still some wheel hop if I wasn't just right on the throttle.

Either I get a good launch with very little wheel spin and no wheel hop.
A good launch with time wasting wheel spin and no wheel hop.
A good launch with wheel hop from not being just right on the throttle, right when I hear it I get out of the throttle completely and just coast down the line as there is no point in trying after that.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
no, hop is gone. gone gone gone. no matter how i modulate the throttle. the grip is still there, and the torquesteer :lol:

taller profile tires have more flex so they can more smoothly transfer the load, and wont set up the violent oscillations you get with super low profile tires like the mazdaspeed3 stockers.

with the stock speed3 re050a's i would get wheelhop easily, even in wet conditions. the tires are just too low profile and have virtually no give. it has to do with how the tires hook up to the pavement and how they transmit to the chassis. so its bang bang bang. the only time i ever got wheelspin on the re050a's was in snow :lol:

·
Registered
276 Posts
I agree with some of you that upgrading your tires is the best place to start. Tires are the #1 overlooked mod, and are prob the easiest thing to do. Simply buy performance tires/wheels, and keep your stock all-seasons for the winter.

also, tires dont effect warrenty, as where engine/trans mounts Do. If your rockin engine mounts and crack your mount connection or trans casing than its on you.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts