Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have seen the talk of washing the car on the Japan Transit thread but what wax treatment is best for a new car (and of course for repeat treatments to keep that shine). What is the best method of application and how often?? Thanks guys. :D

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hmm tricky question here for new car,as some ppl swear by that new car don't need waxing for months to come.

But I did mine some 6 months after new, so to top up the polish so to speak.I use meguiars products and find it quite good as it is readly available and reasonly priced.There other products out there heard to be better or equivalent,but much harder to get.

Check out their website here with lots of FAQ in terms of car protection.

http://www.meguiars.com.au/Get_Schooled.htm

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Just make sure you don't use anything that "cuts" the paint, many so called waxes are actually abrasives designed for old paint. As it cuts it of course lessens the depth of the paint.

I recommend just a simple and very gentle car shampoo and a chamois once cleaned. Then if you want to go that extra mile a non abrasive wax.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Absinthe. Problem is that we do not necessarily get the same cleaning/waxing products here in Australia that you do in North America. Just wanted to find out what products and methods people use here in our sometimes hot/dry/dusty and othertimes hot/wet climate:D

·
Registered
126 Posts
we use kangaroo skins for wash cloths and koala polishing pads.. not to forget tasmanian tiger wax protection.. we are individuals...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Go gettum shaund! and don't forget the emu oil! :D

·
Registered
519 Posts
:lol: rofl :lol:

yah, yah... no real set time for me. i just do the thorough clean and wax when a full weekend day permits. also use the meguiars products, their little quick-fix spray is nice for day to day, then can get more serious during the major clean.

i usually find that the paint job here does hold up well under the aussie sun - as long as sap/guck etc is kept off from a protracted acid stay. no real special aussie products needed as yet. 8)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Just wanted to add my 5 cents about paint protection etc.

Waxguard/Natureguard isnt worth the paper the contract is written on. Fabric protection can be of benefit though. IMHO

I manage a car wash. The type with the high pressure gun and foam brush. If these systems are used properly, ie: Presoak the car FIRST, this is generally the strongest detergent, then high pressure soap over the car to remove heavy dirt and bugs BEFORE using the brush, the foam (the foam in most has very little detergent quality) from the brush constantly flushes it so no dirt is building up and scratching your paint, then high pressure rinsing makes certain the dirt is gone. The waxes my wash uses are equal to anything you can apply yourself or better, esp the Clear Coat which is a silicon paint protection enhanced wax and finally USE the spot free rinse, which is JUST highly filtered water, NO chemicals or anything, ours is between 0 and 1 part per million suspended solids, unlike tap water which can be as high as 200ppm, you will get NO water marks if you rinse properly, without having to chamois the car at all. Cars I wash myself I will guarantee NO SPOTS.

IF you give the car a really good soak in Presoak, then high pressure soap really well you can skip the foam brush so nothing touches your car. You dont have to pack anything up when done either, just drive away. I was sceptical about these washes before I started managing one, now I know theres no better way to wash your car. PLUS its environmentally friendly.

If you want to find a good carwash look for Dilling Harris Equipment or PRO WASH Australia equipment. The www.prowash.com.au australia website lists some of the sites with their euipment, but not the one I manage. BTW I only manage a single wash not part of a chain like Carlovers and Im not paid to say this. The above is my opinion about washing cars.

Lancair

·
Registered
519 Posts
The only problem is the water restrictions we have here in Sydney preclude the generous pre-soak stage :( Maybe I should just drive it out when next it downpours, move it back into the garage and take it from there? :cry:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the definitive explanation Lancair. I alwaws wondered how safe your type of car wash was. Looks pretty good if used in the manner you set out. Thanks for the info:D

·
Registered
177 Posts
Zoomer, there is one in Cairns. Dont know where it is but Ive heard the service guys talking about going there.

I lived in Cairns back in 96-97, Edge Hill.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've read on another forum, instead of using wax, the guy was using a polymer. He claims that because its synthetic, it lasts longer than carnauba wax that is present in most (if not all) auto waxes as the polymer bonds to the clearcoat (and not stick on like the wax does).

anyone know of any brand or place to purchase it in Australia?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Hey irvinchua, you also got a Neo sedan!!

Got any pics of it?! Alot of ppl actualyl want to see how a NEo looks since everyone here mostly has Maxx and upwards..

Sorry if u put it up somewhere else, i might've skipped past it somewhere.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts