Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there guys...

When waxing your car, is it advisable to avoid the black plastic parts on the vehicle??

I am now seeing the black plastic parts (eg. plastic surrounding around side vision mirrors) showing some white marks... Which i s evidentally due to the wax..

·
Registered
583 Posts
malebastard said:
Hi there guys...

When waxing your car, is it advisable to avoid the black plastic parts on the vehicle??

I am now seeing the black plastic parts (eg. plastic surrounding around side vision mirrors) showing some white marks... Which i s evidentally due to the wax..
YES. The black plastic trim is textured. the car wax will fill in the little pits and grooves of the plastic and when the wax dries up, it will show up as glaring whitish spots and streaks. It's also a little difficult to get the wax out. Maybe some Dawn dishwashing liquid, water, a sponge, and some constant rubbing might get it out.

Anyways, there should be warnings on the wax bottle stating that you should avoid waxing over textured plastic pieces.

What wax are you using by the way?

·
Banned
867 Posts
I've got the same problem. Used some "wax cleaner" and accidentally got some on the vinyl parts.

I'm thinking of getting a bottle of vinyl restorer.....maybe that will help. I am a little hesitant on using peanut butter :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm thinking of getting a bottle of vinyl restorer.....maybe that will help. I am a little hesitant on using peanut butter
Me too...

dun wanna be driving with a gang of roachs following me!!

LOL..

So theres no product that can remove wax from the vinyl???

I'll try warm soapy water...

·
Registered
157 Posts
try a toothbrush. i bought one for 99c at the drugstore and just keep it in my car for when i happen to spot something. the bristles get down into those pits in the plastic and brush out the wax.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Back to Black is good at taking wax off the plastic parts, black or body colored. Sold at most auto stores. 8)

·
Registered
157 Posts
malebastard said:
Just the tooth brush and warm soapy water????
no, just the toothbrush. no water. works best when it's dry, that way the bristles can sweep the stuff outta there.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Smooth peanut butter has been known for years to take wax off of plastic bumpers and such. I first heard about it back in the 90's, but I still prefer Back To Black.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I made the mistake of doing this too. I have the original Armor All spray at home, as well as the purple Armor All wipes used for wiping the interior. Would either of these work for the black plastic parts of the exterior I've accidentally waxed?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.