Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just a copy of what i posted under another topic but i thought i'd make a new topic about it to get everyone's thoughts. anywayz...

should i wax the car right away after purchasing?

i've had the car for about a month and i have yet to wax it......will it help in the long run to wax as soon as possible?

and how often do u wax? i learned that waxing is every 6 months but at the 6th month.....waxing is done like weekly for 1 month.....is this how to do it?

the sun's actually out right now so i could wax it if needed.....i did get the dealership to put a layer of clearcoat.....dunno if that affects anything...

·
Registered
420 Posts
turtle said:
....i did get the dealership to put a layer of clearcoat.....
:roll:

Anyway, no you don't "need" to wax it right away. It'll be fine for awhile, just don't neglect it.

As far as frequency, I use the look and touch method, with a little "when was the last time" thrown in. If it looks like it needs wax, and feels like it needs wax, it needs wax.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well I don't want to stir things up, but I heard that you should first find out the exact date the Vehicle was manufactured, if it was less then a month then you are NOT supose to wax it until it's at least 1 month old.

Apparently you need to let the paint fully cure first. Now I am not sure if it matters wether it is summer or winter when it was built, but this I got from a friend at a body shop. This may also be true only for repaints, never asked that either.

Anyone know better on this issue? I have no evidence to back up the statement except my buddies experience.

·
Registered
276 Posts
MeMazdaThree said:
Well I don't want to stir things up, but I heard that you should first find out the exact date the Vehicle was manufactured, if it was less then a month then you are NOT supose to wax it until it's at least 1 month old.

Apparently you need to let the paint fully cure first. Now I am not sure if it matters wether it is summer or winter when it was built, but this I got from a friend at a body shop. This may also be true only for repaints, never asked that either.

Anyone know better on this issue? I have no evidence to back up the statement except my buddies experience.
This is a myth or a case of people confusing bodyshop repaint jobs with factory applied paint, which is different. You can, and should, wax your car right away after purchase. The paint is cured from the factory. A repaint job is another matter.

Re-wax the car when you notice the water isn't running or beading off as well, and if the paint does not feel as slick and slippery as when you first applied the wax (especially this in my opinion). Wax-free paint is fairly grippy and not slick at all, but don't wait till this point. Inspect only with dry paint and hands, and only when everything is clean.

There is no set rule as to when a wax will poop out. It depends on many things, like pollution, paint temperatures, how you care for it, and especially the wax you use. Unfortunately it is impossible to tell you "re-wax every X months".... Just monitor it after every wash and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
56 Posts
4DSC said:
MeMazdaThree said:

This is a myth or a case of people confusing bodyshop repaint jobs with factory applied paint, which is different. You can, and should, wax your car right away after purchase. The paint is cured from the factory. A repaint job is another matter.

Re-wax the car when you notice the water isn't running or beading off as well, and if the paint does not feel as slick and slippery as when you first applied the wax (especially this in my opinion). Wax-free paint is fairly grippy and not slick at all, but don't wait till this point. Inspect only with dry paint and hands, and only when everything is clean.

There is no set rule as to when a wax will poop out. It depends on many things, like pollution, paint temperatures, how you care for it, and especially the wax you use. Unfortunately it is impossible to tell you "re-wax every X months".... Just monitor it after every wash and you'll be fine.
Thanks for clearing that up :lol:

·
Registered
411 Posts
For reference, I wax my car the first wash of every month (I wash my car every 2 weeks and before special occasions where I want to show up in a clean car)

I do however wax the headlights, taillights, clear bra and anything chrome after every 2nd wash, regardless of time of month. I do this simply because dirt doesn't stick to a waxed area as much and I like keeping my head/tail lights clean so I can be seen at night. And the chrome just looks a lot shinier after it is waxed. I've heard putting RainX on the headlights and taillights help too, although I have not personally tried this yet.

When waxing, I wax almost everything on the outside but the windows.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Car wash wax

Ok, obviously the "wax" or "hot wax" option at car washes are not the same as the stuff you put elbow grease into. What exactly are they though?

--ed

·
Registered
56 Posts
Does anyone "Rain-X" the windows but most importantly the Headlights and taillights? I do and that keeps them clean longer I find.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts